1986 monte carlo ls t5 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2016
Got an 86 with a 305 and i removed the 2004r for a t5

My question is my cross member doesnt want to fit, i have heard if i flip the mount over and reweld it with an extension that it will work and should i cut my hole in the floor before measuring for the x member.

Also my engine didnt stay in place it dropped a bit so how far does the shifter base stick up thru the floor?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Judging by the post you probably haven't done too many standard transmission installs.

You're going to have to bolt it to the Engine, then get it up in the tunnel to where you can mark the hole location. Once you do that then cut the hole out, I try to go about an inch wider on every dimension, basically a square around the shifter that is one inch larger than the shifter tower on the Transmission. Once you have the hole cut then get it at the height that is proper and make the crossmember.

Here is a pic of when I did my T56 so you get an idea...

SHIFTERHOLE2.jpg

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
The F-body T5 mount location is forward of the 200-4R.
If your frame is boxed in between the front cross member location and the 200-4R location, slide it forward and drill.

If it is not boxed in between, maybe redrill the crossmember or otherwise clamp it down on top of the frame. Or, weld / extend the mount tab, which I did for my T5 and T56 swaps in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor