1986 Olds 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
I've been downsizing parts and projects to find a mostly original 1985 White 442. However, during my hunt a 86 442 that I inquired about for years became available. I first found out about this car 10 years ago when the owner was putting equipment into his pole barn and the car was taken out of the garage and made visible. The car was less than 2 miles from my home. The owner of the car inherited the car from his uncle who was the original owner. I asked about buying the car multiple times and was always told no but finally the car became available and I had to jump on it. Car has been sitting for around 15 years in a pole barn. Paint is original along with most of the car. Car needs a repaint, engine bay cleaning and some parts added/refreshed under the hood. It also needs a new exhaust system (it has a cat-back single exhaust on it currently:rolleyes:) Car has 54,*** documented miles.

I'm excited about getting the car running good, cleaning up the exterior, interior and engine bay. I need to bring things under the hood to original (there are some things missing). Paint will have to hold out for a few years but once I get a new exhaust system the car will be driven during the spring. Overall, I still wish I was able to find a 85 white 442 but I am very happy with my 86 442.

Attachments

• 442.jpg
    442.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 442 front.jpg
    442 front.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 442 door.jpg
    442 door.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 442 interior.jpg
    442 interior.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 442 speedo.jpg
    442 speedo.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 442 trunk.jpg
    442 trunk.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 442 codes.jpg
    442 codes.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I spy a G80 on that SPID....good job! Needs some TLC, but would make an excellent driver. Appears the interior is in decent shape, which is a plus as I have NO idea where you could find the 86 seat material. Make sure a cat didn't pee in there, though. And check under those T-top plates for rot!

Reactions: 2 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Outstanding!!!! Good for you finding such a gem! Don’t stop looking for your white 442 but look at you with this beautiful 86! Ok 69 hurst olds what’s the g80 code? I appreciate all your knowledge! Can’t wait to get my sticker package. QS 442 such a gorgeous car you scored I’m sure it’s gona bring many a happy Saturday waxing before a car show!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
G80 is the RPO for Limited Slip rear end. Dealers weren't too keen on ordering it as it wasn't included in any of the "quick pick" ordering packages. Either someone at the dealership needed to think about it and add it for inventory cars, or since there were only a few per dealer, if that, most were customer orders and if they knew what they were doing, would order the G80.

Reactions: 1 users

DR HURST 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
I've been downsizing parts and projects to find a mostly original 1985 White 442. However, during my hunt a 86 442 that I inquired about for years became available. I first found out about this car 10 years ago when the owner was putting equipment into his pole barn and the car was taken out of the garage and made visible. The car was less than 2 miles from my home. The owner of the car inherited the car from his uncle who was the original owner. I asked about buying the car multiple times and was always told no but finally the car became available and I had to jump on it. Car has been sitting for around 15 years in a pole barn. Paint is original along with most of the car. Car needs a repaint, engine bay cleaning and some parts added/refreshed under the hood. It also needs a new exhaust system (it has a cat-back single exhaust on it currently:rolleyes:) Car has 54,*** documented miles.

I'm excited about getting the car running good, cleaning up the exterior, interior and engine bay. I need to bring things under the hood to original (there are some things missing). Paint will have to hold out for a few years but once I get a new exhaust system the car will be driven during the spring. Overall, I still wish I was able to find a 85 white 442 but I am very happy with my 86 442.
Looks like a nice car! Enjoy!

DR HURST 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Outstanding!!!! Good for you finding such a gem! Don’t stop looking for your white 442 but look at you with this beautiful 86! Ok 69 hurst olds what’s the g80 code? I appreciate all your knowledge! Can’t wait to get my sticker package. QS 442 such a gorgeous car you scored I’m sure it’s gona bring many a happy Saturday waxing before a car show!
G80 is Limited Slip

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Are any single into dual behind cat back systems available anymore? The factory replacement exhaust is discontinued. A custom 2.5" dual exhaust system will fit under the single hump crossmember and improve performance. The G80 is an awesome option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor