BUILD THREAD 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Anubis said:
Can you get the factory grill on with those front speakers? They look nice but I bet they will hit the grills.

They do touch but I got the factory grills on just fine - they are flush.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Re: 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build - RADIO PART 4

Time for more fun measuring, cutting, and building - it's the speaker and subwoofer box for the trunk. I know I've said this before, but I am really terrible at this stuff. I measured everything out, and I probably should have had my 6 month old daughter do that part because once I assembled the box I had to take it all apart and chop almost two inches off. Once I did that it fit perfect, so I guess I wasn't too far off with my numbers. Once I test fit it again (I did this several times as I could not believe it fit) I cut the holes for the speaker, 442 logo, and and sub woofer. Next I carpeted the thing - stapled the inside and glued the front parts. It actually came out pretty good.

The idea for the 442 logo just came to me. I had an almost whole sheet of lexan sitting around I did not want to go to waste, and some 3" house numbers I bought from Home Cheapo. I stuck the numbers to the front of the lexan to mark out the spot. I also had an Oldsmobile logo I found in the trunk of the car. I put a piece of masking tape on the lexan where that was to go and sprayed with two coats of black and a coat of clear. Once it dried I pulled off the tape and numbers and presto - I could see that the numbers were off center. If anyone asks I'll say it was supposed to be that way, but I mis-measured - again!

I made a small box using leftover MDF and some tin foil to mirror the blue light from the LED's and I have a custom light up box. I am still waiting on the amp from Amazon which should be in shortly, and then I'll install that. Lucky for me, that glows blue as well. Guess the whole car will glow blue. At least one thing matches!

Attachments

• f3.JPG
    f3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,088
  • f4.JPG
    f4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,186
  • d7a.jpg
    d7a.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,093

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Re: 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build = Double Din install DONE!

Finally - I finished part of the radio project. The double din head unit is installed and works perfectly. I still have not wired up the AMP and the subwoofer, but it sounds pretty good so far. I ran all the wires so I don't have to pull the thing out again. The only thing I need to do to finish it is to install the trim around the radio. It's somewhere around here. The switches above the radio are also wired in, and the #2 switch controls the trunk LED lighting. Eventually, #1 will control the interior LED, and #3 will do the exterior and engine area LED.

Attachments

• g3.JPG
    g3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,249
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,073
  • g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,085

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Re: 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build - Trunk Speaker Box Installed!

Part 2 of the new radio project, the speaker box, is almost complete. It's mounted in the trunk, and I wired in the Blue LED lights. There are blue lights behind the 442 logo and are reflected to create a nifty lighting effect - on the cheap. I used tin foil to reflect the light. It actually looks pretty cool and you can't really tell. Also put blue LED's hidden up over the trunk.

Next up is to wire up the AMP and subwoofer - a project for this coming weekend. Once that's done I'll finish looming and tieing up all the wires and close it all up. I am also going to mount a second battery in the spare tire well with a selector switch under the dash for car shows. I ran the wire for all that too, just need to pick up the battery and tray holder.

Attachments

• g8.JPG
    g8.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,060
  • g7.JPG
    g7.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,038
  • g5.JPG
    g5.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,070

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
coming along nicely! I like the sub box, the interior looks great! My best friends dad had an 86 442 growing up and I always loved that car. His dad was a paraplegic, but he was the most capable guy I knew! He also restored a 67 GTO more than half by himself! All of us in the neighborhood helped build it, but it was Pauls vision, drive, and late nights tinkering that brought that car to fruition. I have the pride of being the Mechanic for it now :)

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
nice work so far, you wouldn't happen to know anyone who wants a dual 10" sub woofer box, I have no use for it and its in good condition each side is 0.9 sq ft. BTW the long branch and Chick-fil-a shows were huge last weekend

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
gp02a0083 said:
nice work so far, you wouldn't happen to know anyone who wants a dual 10" sub woofer box, I have no use for it and its in good condition each side is 0.9 sq ft. BTW the long branch and Chick-fil-a shows were huge last weekend

I'll ask around - I work with big time stereo guys so you never know. I never made it to Chic because I had the 442 torn apart doing this work. Had the interior all apart again and the dash just hanging there. I put it back together midnight Tuesday so I could make a show yesterday (which btw I never made). Instead I finished the trunk. Will you be at the next Chic show I think it's September 7 ? If So I'll try to get there with my car and we can meet up and park together.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
GT_80 said:
coming along nicely! I like the sub box, the interior looks great! My best friends dad had an 86 442 growing up and I always loved that car. His dad was a paraplegic, but he was the most capable guy I knew! He also restored a 67 GTO more than half by himself! All of us in the neighborhood helped build it, but it was Pauls vision, drive, and late nights tinkering that brought that car to fruition. I have the pride of being the Mechanic for it now :)

That must be really cool working on the car you grew up alongside. It's those times that shape what is to come. I was fortunate enough to have a mechanic as a neighbor when I lived at home. He has lots of cars - GTO's, old trucks, Corvairs, and old Harleys. He let me work on them and drive them! When he traveled I watched and drove them for him. My father was a car guy too, as was my grandfather. We had Olds Cutlasses, 442's, Mustangs, Monte Carlos, Packards, and old Cadillacs. When it came time for me to drive I had Firebirds and Grand Prix's. I still see my 85 Grand Prix in the next town over - wish I never sold it. If I can ever catch up with the guy I'd like to offer to buy it back!

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Finally finished installing the amp today. Got everything all wired up and ran the subwoofer level control up under the dash. Installed the trim around the head unit too. The radio is actually all done.

Attachments

• h2.JPG
    h2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 877
  • h5.JPG
    h5.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 865

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
RunAwayNJ said:
gp02a0083 said:

I'll ask around - I work with big time stereo guys so you never know. I never made it to Chic because I had the 442 torn apart doing this work. Had the interior all apart again and the dash just hanging there. I put it back together midnight Tuesday so I could make a show yesterday (which btw I never made). Instead I finished the trunk. Will you be at the next Chic show I think it's September 7 ? If So I'll try to get there with my car and we can meet up and park together.

yah, I'll try to get there, I'll be there with my cutlass or my F-250 this time. There are one or two shows in October in farmingdale that i will attend as well. nice job on the install

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor