1986 Pontiac Grand Prix Parking brake system info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Just make sure that your service brakes (regular foot brake pedal) is adjusted correctly BEFORE you adjust the parking brake. DO NOT make the parking brake adjustment too tight. That will cause your rear brake shoes to drag, causing excessive heat buildup, and premature rear brake shoe wear. The purpose of the parking brake is to keep the car from rolling on an incline. Its not meant to stop the car while its in motion.

Gotcha. Funny thing though, about 40 years ago while driving my 69 Galaxie, my brakes went out, all of them, and I made it all the way home without incident by using the parking brake. Had to use one hand to hold the release open so I could press down and release them like regular brakes. That was a scary situation that I hope I never have to repeat.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor