Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
1570449316672.png

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Even if it does at die, at least you haven't cut the drive shaft to make it fit. If it has some upgrades and a deep pan it might live. At the very least overfill it with the stock pan and filter.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just don't go putting sticky rubber on it, and it'll probably be fine. A set of 3.08s out back, and the ol' diesel will just idle along at highway speed= AWESOME!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just don't go putting sticky rubber on it, and it'll probably be fine. A set of 3.08s out back, and the ol' diesel will just idle along at highway speed= AWESOME!
Yeah anywhere from 3.08 to 3.42 gears, tire height makes a difference. With my 3.42 gears, 26.3" tires, I run about 1800 rpm and 60 mph, just over 2000 rpm at 70 mph with the 2004R locked up. If a 275/60R15 and a stock GN 8.5" rear was used, it would also make a great combo.

Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
That makes me think, i actually dont know the rear ratio in this rear, ill have to check that when i get home. Should still be on the ID sticker on the underside of the trunk lid

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That makes me think, i actually dont know the rear ratio in this rear, ill have to check that when i get home. Should still be on the ID sticker on the underside of the trunk lid
Yes, there should be a big one. When I changed my rotten trunklid, I lost that handy reference. I know 88 had either 2.56 or 3.08 gears, mine had a 2.56 open and no handling package. Other than the fiber optic indicators and sport suspension my car is a fully loaded Brougham, Grandparific at its finest. Was your 87 a factory 2004R car or 200C? Wasn't the base 200C gears 2.14?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Mine was factory 200R4 and pretty much a base model, no vinyl top, roll up windows, no outside trim, solid bench seat. I bet it has something like 2.56 gears because when it had the 350 and 350TH trans it was a dog down low but cruised like a champ. Its an open rear but a cheap mini spool will solve that

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Okay guys i have a larger update to follow the weekend but for now i just had a quick post for the rear brakes. A while back i posted up looking for the bolt that holds the backing plate to the axle and also holds the springs for the rear shoes. Well after snapping a few of them i was pretty dead in the water on what to do until i talked with a guy at work and he was nice enough to offer to make one. I had one good one left and while i was hopeful you always have the thought in the back of your head that it wont work. Well it really did, this guy knocked it out of the part and made a replica of the original. He is the best tool maker at work that we have so it was no real surprise that his work was that good but he really got it right. So this weekend ill be testing this on the backing plates. He even cleaned up and fixed the threads on the old one
brakes.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Not as much of an update as i would like but mostly getting ready for winter around the house and finishing up the last few of the things i had to do. Plus the trans went out on my '04 monte carlo so have been trying to fix that nightmare. So in current news i have the injection pump for the car fully torn down. Once i order the rebuild kit with the seals ill get to work on putting that back together. Everything inside it looked good so thats a big cost saver
pump.jpg

Once that was done i started in on the fuel and brake lines, what i like to do with them is sand all the crud off them with 80 grit paper then go at them with a scotch bright pad and it shines them up really nice. After a coat of clear they tend to stay looking nice. However while sanding on the main fuel line it folded in half in my hands so big bummer there, have never had a fuel line feel so brittle. The inside was filled with this porous, hard substance that im still not quite sure what it is. So i guess all the better because it wouldnt have let any fuel through anyway. I purchased some copper nickle tube to take its place and ill probably start bending that this week. The main brake line from the front to the rear is finished and ill have to get a picture of that tonight.
lines.jpg
lines2.jpg

So finally as im rummaging around the Indianapolis pull a part i find not only a transmission for my monte carlo but also a blazer rear sway bar that has been in conversation recently. I figured i would try it out not that this turd is going to be doing much corner carving but i would say stability is going to be needed.
sway bar.jpg

Moving right along now, have to press some bushings and order a few parts but with any luck it should be able to sit on its wheels soon (once i buy them)

Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor