1987 Cutlass Salon a bit rough but for the right price...?

Trader history (0)

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016

My first suspicious note is I thought all "Salons" had the amber front parking/turn lights in the bumper? I'm thinking these aren't the original?

Frame and body are heavily rusted, but interior is not horrible if someone needs lots of different pieces?

Wheels look ok, and quite rare to find. Video you can hear exhaust leak might just be the AIR injection pipes and/or check valves.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's a Salon, alright. And yes, it should have the amber front parking lamps. The "Y78" on the SPID and the K11 in the VIN is the giveaway it's a Salon. Clear lenses are the least of this car's problems.

Interesting color combo. 12U and 19L. Complete opposite of a black 442. It would be 19U and 12L. Strange.

Trunklid and bottom of the door rust is absolutely horrible. Some of the other places on the lower body are terribly rusted pretty badly. That is some serious frame rot as well. Not worth the money they're asking. Unless this WAS THE EXACT car you had in high school or lost your virginity in or some other milestone event, this would be a big fat PASS.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Yup, like I said...it's rough...but if someone needs a drivetrain, glass, interior, wheels, and trim pieces it could fit warrant a reasonable offer but something tells me it's going to sit on that lot for awhile at that price.

Hey so here's an interesting knowledge nugget I just noticed as I compared this car's RPO sticker to mine which is a 2G3GK11 vin built in Canada where this was built in US 1G3GK11 There's some minor differences in the labels themselves. What I noticed is my RPO CODES are listed alphabetically from left to right (rows), then top to bottom, while the US built car has them listed top to bottom (columns), then left to right.

Kind of weird, gotta just assume they simply printed from different computers/printers and different software on either side of the border?

I thought all Salons came with F41 (like mine) but this one didn't, it shows FE2 which I think was the base suspension? I'll have to go look up the old brochure I have around somewhere.

Mine built in Canada
1658888014160.png

This one built in US
1658888177187.png

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After looking at the pics of that Cutlass I had to jump back & smack myself. $3000 tops & that's even pushing it. The trunk lid is enough to scream oh hell no on the asking price. It has that shjt that most low quality lots use to shine up everything under the hood.

86LK

G-Body Guru
Jul 23, 2018
geez, what a pile of 💩 !

talk about a used car salesman pitch.....

There is some rust in areas and issues with the frame
A/C has not been converted and did not blow cold, may need to be recharged.
This car has been owned by the same family since new before coming to us. Odometer reads 80,081 miles, believed to be original miles.
Seats do have some minor wear.
There does appear to be an exhaust leak as well.

1658902658170.png

1658902803832.png

1658902986508.png

1658903604456.png

1658903636356.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I dug into this a bit. GM is really ODD when it comes to RPOs and options. I can see how dealerships could get confused when ordering some of the options for these cars.

FE2 was the base suspension for the Calais/Salon at worst. But everything in the 84, 85, 87 Olds ordering book shows F41 as an extra cost option for Salon. Based on the information I can find, FE2 cars did not have the quick ratio box like the F41.

It's odd that the Y78 option package changed the VIN from GR47 to a GK47 or GK11 for the later ones. It's also weird that they still referred to the body style as GR47 even in 87. But in all the Y78 option list of stuff from 85-87, it lists both FE2 and F41. From 84 on back, no suspension is listed at all in the Y78 list or in the standard equipment.

F41 is simply fatter bars, HD springs, firm ride shocks, and 800 series quick ratio steering box (steering box depending on the year. Salon for 87 has "special ratio" listed in the standard equipment so it didn't need the box upgrade, apparently.)

The ordering books show the standard suspension with larger bars front and rear. The 84 ordering book shows on the page behind the list of standard equipment and extra cost options, the Calais has "front and rear stabilizer bars included in the Calais Special Suspension package" or something like that with no mention of FE2 in the standard equipment list, however. But F41 does show up as an extra cost option ($30) under Calais with the caveat that F41 is standard on W40. On the window sticker, the 84 Calais and 85 Salon did list under the standard equipment as "Stabilizer Bars, Hvy Dty"

Standard suspension in the 85 and 87 books for Salon has the larger sway bars, with F41 again listed as an extra cost option. And also again, included with W42.

Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
I dug into this a bit. GM is really ODD when it comes to RPOs and options. I can see how dealerships could get confused when ordering some of the options for these cars.

FE2 was the base suspension for the Calais/Salon at worst. But everything in the 84, 85, 87 Olds ordering book shows F41 as an extra cost option for Salon. Based on the information I can find, FE2 cars did not have the quick ratio box like the F41.

It's odd that the Y78 option package changed the VIN from GR47 to a GK47 or GK11 for the later ones. It's also weird that they still referred to the body style as GR47 even in 87. But in all the Y78 option list of stuff from 85-87, it lists both FE2 and F41. From 84 on back, no suspension is listed at all in the Y78 list or in the standard equipment.

F41 is simply fatter bars, HD springs, firm ride shocks, and 800 series quick ratio steering box (steering box depending on the year. Salon for 87 has "special ratio" listed in the standard equipment so it didn't need the box upgrade, apparently.)

The ordering books show the standard suspension with larger bars front and rear. The 84 ordering book shows on the page behind the list of standard equipment and extra cost options, the Calais has "front and rear stabilizer bars included in the Calais Special Suspension package" or something like that with no mention of FE2 in the standard equipment list, however. But F41 does show up as an extra cost option ($30) under Calais with the caveat that F41 is standard on W40. On the window sticker, the 84 Calais and 85 Salon did list under the standard equipment as "Stabilizer Bars, Hvy Dty"

Standard suspension in the 85 and 87 books for Salon has the larger sway bars, with F41 again listed as an extra cost option. And also again, included with W42.
Yeah the F41 is something I remember trying to decipher years ago because it's used across all the carlines, but not necessarily defined the same...I've been looking for my original window sticker but I think it's all packed away in storage file cabs so it's not handy. Was hoping to confirm if my 87 Salon had F41 listed as a line item option, or part of some other Option Group.

I do know that my original steering box was the faster ratio unit (by the lock to lock count) so I made sure when I upgraded to the TurnOne box, I didn't just toss it in the trash, or give it in as a core since there was nothing wrong with it other than it was original. No leaks, etc..so it's a perfectly good rebuildable core that I know hasn't spent part of it's life in a pile of crud, and banged around with other boxes. I once got a Cardone brand, so called "rebuilt" that was junk....the splines on the input shaft were so worn out and hammered it was all but useless.

Thanks for the info 69hurstolds and taking to the time to post....it amazes me the wealth of knowledge you've accumulated, and willing to share with the community!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't know anything really. I happen to have some GM literature from various G-body Olds years, and I kinda learned how to look up stuff through the books.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

Contact Admin@GBodyForum.com for info on becoming a sponsor