BUILD THREAD 1987 Cutlass Salon T-Top Frankenstein build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, this will be Cutlass number 9 that I have owned, and G-Body number number 7 I have owned. I found it 2 months ago, while browsing the local online classifieds. It had been sitting in a barn for 12 years about 40 minutes away from my home in central Ontario. The Cutlass was complete with hardly any rust on the body, and the tops look really good. The paint was grey with grey interior, tilt steering, power windows, F41 package, rally gauges, 305 Chev, TH200C metric trans, and a 2.29 posi.
IMG_20160531_1707194.jpg IMG_20160531_1656011.jpg IMG_20160531_1657568.jpg
I trailered it home...not being able to start it because of the bad wiring under the hood. After fixing the wiring, and changing the fluids, it fired right up...ran smooth, then blew spark plug #6 out the passenger side head! From sitting in a barn for 12 years, most of the plugs were rusted out. Next was tackling the interior smell...when they say "Barn fresh"... they sure as hell aren't talking about how fresh the smell is! I gutted the interior to find 7 mouse nests...the worst was under the back seat. There was a nest even in the headliner! The floor had a number of patches to fill, but the frame looks fine for now...a little thin in 2 spots...but ok for the next year or so. The power was a little lacking for me, so I pulled the motor and trans out next.
IMG_20160628_2348457.jpg IMG_20160717_2250169.jpg
I've been accumulating parts for the past 10 years, so this was finally the time to put them to good use. I had a 403 Olds I bought from a machinist so years ago, that he used for drag racing. It has 455 heads with the large valves, Crane springs and aluminium roller rockers, adjustable pushrods, 5xx lift cam(don't know the full specs yet), Toronado pan and pickup, modified oiling system, Edelbrock RPM intake, double roller timing chain, Holley 4160 750cfm, rebuilt HEI distributor with Accell hardware and coil, and Hooker headers. After the heater box removal, and cleanup of the engine bay/firewall, the motor dropped in after I welded in the lower mounts. I bolted a TH350 behind it, with a Hurst Stage 2 kit, and 2400 stall converter. The rad is an F-Body aluminium unit, which I added a secondary transmission cooler in front of it. For now, I have a FlexLite aluminium fan on the pump. I'm on the hunt for an electric fan setup... maybe an F-Body setup, or a unit from a '90s Intrepid. I have done a number of floor repairs, and fabbed in a Hurst Quarter Stick.
IMG_20160815_212840.jpg
I have a line lock unit I'll hook up later...I'm just itching to get it on the road before the summer is over! I'm removing the landau roof, and modding it to a regular hard top with the T-top...and giving it a quick primer paint for the rest of the year. I also had a cowl hood that was made for me about 16 years ago, that I've put on too. Here's what it looked like on my first G-Body Cutlass on my wedding day...
FB_IMG_1466100975366.jpg
I'll do the bodywork over the winter. Oh, and I have poly bushings for the suspension and body mounts, 373 gears, and lowering springs to keep me busy as well. Next update will be the interior going back in.

Thanks for watching.

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
those mice can be quite the nuisance ! Your wedding pic looks vaguely like the marina in Orrilia....

welcome to the site BTW

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Thanks axisg...that's the marina of Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines, Ontario.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I finished up welding the floor patches last night, and gave everything a heavy coat of paintable rocker guard...and I forgot to snap a pic. Tonight's adventures will be seam sealer around the patches, and sound deadening. I should be able to get the interior in Friday evening... and just maybe a maiden voyage Friday night! It's been too long without Olds V8 power!

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, I used the whole tube of seam sealer just on the inside floor...picking up a second tube tonight. Looks like I have a leak from the transmission dip stick tube to take care of tonight. Then...interior goes in. So close.

Reactions: 1 user

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
The carpet, and drivers seat went in, and I sealed the trans dip stick tonight...and went for a drive! It drove very well...but holy furkin loud! I hope thing tone down when I get the back seat in and close out the trunk. I may have to go with some sound deadening. I did see any leaks. I'll go for another drive tomorrow when the rest of the interior is in. I'm heading for my rum.

Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I wanted to get more done on the Cutlass over the last few days, but my wife's Jeep Liberty had other plans for me. A rear axle seal decided to stop sealing...ruining the rear brakes, with almost the differential grenading because of low oil and heat. All repaired, and the diff didn't have any damage. I'll continue the work on the interior tonight... and yes...more rum.

Thanks for the likes guys.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Still haven't finished the interior, but I drove it to work this morning for its first real shakedown. It drove well, the engine temps stayed down...very relieved. The transmission pan is leaking, with drips all around the pan. I re-torqued them a few days ago. I used the higher end neoprene, but I think I'll go back to the cork. Looks like the header gaskets are leaking too. I used the Felpro steel/graphite ones and they just don't seem to seal the headers enough. I have a set of RemFlex 11-001 coming tomorrow. Also, noticed that it's a a bit of a struggle to start when the engine is hot. I'll check the timing and the Holley's float levels when I get home. Looks like I will stop by the local airport for some 100 octane... I love the smell!

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Got home after fuelling up at the airport, and my 13 year old girl, and my 9 year old boy wanted some help with their new 49cc pit dirt bikes. How can I say no! I pulled the boy's carb of his bike, and did a complete tear down and cleaning instructional for them both. They both couldn't finish supper fast enough to get back outside to tackle bike #2 on their own! So, I didn't get a lot done on the interior last night, but it was worth it.

I was able to sound deaden some of the floor and surrounding interior walls; replaced the tar underlay behind the back seat with a thick rubber floor mat I had cut to size from the hardware store; cleaned up the back dash panel(might spray it tonight with dye); cut a hole for the courtesy light on the rear passenger panel that's around the quarter glass(the old panel had a mouse living in it for 12 years); sprayed a bright silver onto the courtesy light housings...they were very faded; and finally cleaned up some of the garage! It had looked like 3 Cutlasses filled with tools and shop rags had exploded, with the remains thrown around my garage. It's better in there...at least I can get to the bear fridge.

Tonight, cleaning each panel as they are put back in...hopefully.

Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Just finished the interior... apart from the roof panel... fabric hasn't arrived yet. Wiped down each panel for mouse decontamination, and ran the wiring. It looks 100% better, and smells great! That's all I was hoping for.

I modded the console to fit the Hurst Quarter Stick. I just need to think about the top cover...and how to mod it. I'll post some pics in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor