Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnajimenez36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2018
San Antonio Texas
Just joined the community I have ben having a problem with my 1987 cutlass, it wont start already checked the battery, connectors are fine, and starter looks fine. The only thing it could be is the fusible link, I would appreciate help with where the fuse is located and the steps. thanks alot everyone
cutlass.jpg

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Ok, you need to unhook your battery and disconnect the positive cable from the starter. There should be one or two red wires on that same stud. These wires will have the fusible links on them. Probably easiest to disconnect enough stuff to get that part of the harness up where you can see and work on it. The problem typically is pretty apparent. timo22

Johnajimenez36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2018
San Antonio Texas
Ok, you need to unhook your battery and disconnect the positive cable from the starter. There should be one or two red wires on that same stud. These wires will have the fusible links on them. Probably easiest to disconnect enough stuff to get that part of the harness up where you can see and work on it. The problem typically is pretty apparent. timo22
So follow the positive cable on the battery, then unhook the 2 wires near the starter, next move?

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Yes it will lead to the big stud on the solenoid of the starter. Remove that nut and disconnect the line. There will be one or two thinner red wires on that same stud. These wires go inside the car and the other one to the alternator.
Since these wires are on the same stud as the positive battery cable,they are always hot. Apparently the wire going
To the inside of the car is bad. Like I said earlier, once you see the wires, you need to try and get the pulled out a little to see the problem. The fusible link looks like a solid white plastic tube. If it looks melted, there is your problem. It needs to be replaced. But before you replace it , you need to figure out why it burned up. Typically, the wire may have rubbed the insulation off or got too close to the exhaust and shorted the wire. Getting it?

Johnajimenez36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2018
San Antonio Texas
Yes it will lead to the big stud on the solenoid of the starter. Remove that nut and disconnect the line. There will be one or two thinner red wires on that same stud. These wires go inside the car and the other one to the alternator.
Since these wires are on the same stud as the positive battery cable,they are always hot. Apparently the wire going
To the inside of the car is bad. Like I said earlier, once you see the wires, you need to try and get the pulled out a little to see the problem. The fusible link looks like a solid white plastic tube. If it looks melted, there is your problem. It needs to be replaced. But before you replace it , you need to figure out why it burned up. Typically, the wire may have rubbed the insulation off or got too close to the exhaust and shorted the wire. Getting it?
Or, you could just check for voltage at the bulkead connector, ignition switch, and alternator.

If you're hearing a click, I say the starter is trash.
Worst case scenario but i checked this morning theres no clicking at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor