1987 cutlass Tarnished Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
1987 cutlass supreme. After joining the forum last week and checking out some of you guys amazing builds I decided to tackle my own. With you guys help I should be able to tackle it. Bettys got a mild 355, an 8.5 out of a turbo Buick with 3.73s and a locker. Over the years I've upgraded most if the rear suspension with hotchkis components. I probably won't be doing anything in the performance department due to me not knowing what all the body needs. She's rusty but I'm determined and anxious to learn.
20170505_215025.jpg
20170507_151123.jpg
20170506_164306.jpg
20170524_193133.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum. You've definitely got some rust repair to do on Betty but you should be able to find the help you need here. Keep us posted.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
I took the landau and found rust. Found out I didn't have a floor lol. I also found out I had nothing but rust behind my speaker shelf. After talking to a few guys on here I decided to fix it so this weekend I managed to score a top with quarter windows, and the rear deck area. Poor guy let me cut the top off for 200$ lol
20170527_094226.jpg
20170528_153528.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
I took the landau and found rust. Found out I didn't have a floor lol. I also found out I had nothing but rust behind my speaker shelf. After talking to a few guys on here I decided to fix it so this weekend I managed to score a top with quarter windows, and the rear deck area. Poor guy let me cut the top off for 200$ lol View attachment 67071 View attachment 67072
Does anyone have experience swapping out the speaker deck with the attached trunk lip?

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Question for you Cutlass owners removing vinyl tops. I remember reading that the window trim is different between hardtop and landau topped Monte's and Grand Prix. Is this the case with the Cutlass as well? It looks like the trim sits close to flush with the surrounding metal.

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
Question for you Cutlass owners removing vinyl tops. I remember reading that the window trim is different between hardtop and landau topped Monte's and Grand Prix. Is this the case with the Cutlass as well? It looks like the trim sits close to flush with the surrounding metal.
I don't believe there is a difference. I was told to get quarter windows from a hardtop because if I reuse my originals there will be a gap from the thickness of the now non-existent vinyl top.

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
Thanks. I only ask because looking at your photo, there doesn't appear to be much of a gap!
Lol that probably because there's so much rust behind the windows there kind of falling in. The top is still tucked under the window in the pic.

Rican87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2017
I meant the third pic in your post, the one where the top had already been peeled away.
Yea bud if you zoom in you can still see the top under the windows. You can't fully get it from under the windows without pulling them out. I just cut around them with a blade.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor