1987 El Camino interior REVIVE

GBoDYon4s

GBoDYon4s

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
So,CA.
Hey G body world.
Its been a long time coming my 87 El Camino has been in need some TLC and i decided to start off with the interior first off the infamous Cracked dash board i am thinking to do a dash cap if any one has done this i am wondering how they hold up long-term any info would help thanks in advance.

1evilregal

1evilregal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
it wasn't on a g-body, but several years ago, I was doing some work on a buddy's 84 caprice, and stumbled on a cap in the junkyard.... I have no clue on how long it'd been on that particular car, but I grabbed it, cleaned it up, and hit it with some duplicolor interior paint. about 5 or 6 years later, I believe it's still holding up.

Milton

Milton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2018
SW Florida
I heard a good cleaning on the surface is needed for maximum adhesion. I'm in the process of installing mine. Test fitting it now. Hopefully it will be glued in today.

Attachments

GBoDYon4s

GBoDYon4s

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
So,CA.
it wasn't on a g-body, but several years ago, I was doing some work on a buddy's 84 caprice, and stumbled on a cap in the junkyard.... I have no clue on how long it'd been on that particular car, but I grabbed it, cleaned it up, and hit it with some duplicolor interior paint. about 5 or 6 years later, I believe it's still holding up.
Nice i see they are priced pretty reasonable on mikes montes i might go that route thanks

airboatgreg

airboatgreg

Royal Smart Person
Oct 2, 2016
I have the same issue with mine and am struggling with what to do. Keep the thread on progress if you would.
Thanks

Milton

Milton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2018
SW Florida
All glued in. The instructions say 4 hours for curing. I will leave it over night clamp in. Also when doing the test fit, you would have to sand down or even cut off some of the dash to fit flush.

Attachments

airboatgreg

airboatgreg

Royal Smart Person
Oct 2, 2016
looks pretty good

Milton

Milton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2018
SW Florida
Going from long speedo to rally gages. Painted gage face plate and cover to match dash. Gage cover will have maple wood grain inserted like factory. Waiting for T10 dimmable Led's to arrive so I can put it all together.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rudy913 Interior 19
Zeus785 Interior 7
J Interior 8
D Interior 2
The Last Don Interior 1