1987 Monte Carlo SS won’t start just clicks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panga1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2021
Good afternoon,
(UPDATED)
I’m reaching out just trying to get any help on trying to solve my car issue as it’s not starting. This use to be my daily driver until I got a more economic car for commuting. The car hasn’t be driven in a couple of years and it was started a couple times during that time frame. I haven’t started it since but I did replace the carburetor, battery, starter and siphoned out old gas and put in some fresh gas. The car clicks when you turn the key but that’s it. It does have an scytek astra 777 alarm on it with starter kill relay and have tried bypassing by connecting the ignition wire directly to the starter wire but nothing happens I’m not sure if that’s what preventing it from starting as I have unlocked it from the alarm.

Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Check the battery cables. See if they are tight and not corroded at the battery even inside the wires. Make sure the negative/ground is tight where it goes to the engine block or bracket. Make sure the Positive is tight at the starter.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Check your wiring like ELCAM suggested, also see about getting the battery charged just in case too.

Now the alarm won’t be an issue, unless there’s a kill switch that is installed too.

Panga1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2021
Check the battery cables. See if they are tight and not corroded at the battery even inside the wires. Make sure the negative/ground is tight where it goes to the engine block or bracket. Make sure the Positive is tight at the starter.
We (me and my boyfriend) checked all of that and everything is good on that end :(

Panga1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2021
Check your wiring like ELCAM suggested, also see about getting the battery charged just in case too.

Now the alarm won’t be an issue, unless there’s a kill switch that is installed too.
It’s a brand new battery that was just installed we checked and it’s charged. How would I know if there is a kill switch installed ? Sorry this was my moms car previously and the car came with the alarm system not sure as she is no longer here so can’t confirm.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
when you changed the starter was it the motor only and you used your existing solenoid? Or was it a complete starter?

If it is clicking I wouldn't worry about the alarm, clicking means the key switch signal is getting to the starter.

Panga1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2021
when you changed the starter was it the motor only and you used your existing solenoid? Or was it a complete starter?
It was a complete starter installed

If it is clicking I wouldn't worry about the alarm, clicking means the key switch signal is getting to the starter.
A complete starter was installed.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It’s a brand new battery that was just installed we checked and it’s charged. How would I know if there is a kill switch installed ? Sorry this was my moms car previously and the car came with the alarm system not sure as she is no longer here so can’t confirm.
Then your wiring to your starter or battery isn’t good.

As far as finding a kill switch, if it just clicks when you try to start, then it would be going off the large purple wire.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It was a complete starter installed

A complete starter was installed.
So it’s a new starter? My guess is somebody didn’t tighten the cable down properly to it then, if the connections aren’t corroded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor