Attachments

• C4E1C99B-5C1F-4ECB-AB26-CABE52E326A8.jpeg
    C4E1C99B-5C1F-4ECB-AB26-CABE52E326A8.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 55

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not as rare as an 86 with 200 produced. But from what I understand, compared to Olds 442s, they made a butt load of them. 6,052 I believe.

ssn696

Antique
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
Is this for sale? Ironically if you just bought it, we should move the thread over to the main forum and have you post it as a build thread. I hope the paint is decent.

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just kidding. Nobody knows how many are left, and nobody can tell you exactly how many got the T-tops. GM didn't keep a record of that breakdown. Anyone who thinks they can tell you are just extrapolating from percentages and hunches.

I think the MonteCarloSS forum has a running list of Aerocoupes that are still known to exist, but that's not counting the ones some old dudes have stashed in their garages or still driving around without a clue to what the car represents.

ck80

Royal Smart Person
Feb 18, 2014
6,052 ok but how many are left
Sorry to say, but the answer is more than you think or would like as a seller.

Even when these got wrecked or rusty, most guys with towing or wrecking yards knew enough to know they were unusual and set them aside instead of parting/crushing them. I used to see them places I did business with and got told "nope, that one isn't being parted"...

Add to it these were made when everyone knew the gbody line was ending and plenty got bought by an older guy, tossed in a garage, and rubbed with a diaper for the next 20 years.

Many MANY guys either don't bother with forums, or, prefer not to list their cars in databases. My hunch is somewhere around 5500 or so cars would remain. That's just speculation. But, when 100-something examples of cars that only had 200 or so units built in the 80s are tracked down... (I'm thinking regal packages, mera body fieros, etc) you figure maybe 10-20% attrition at most.

Reactions: aerocoupewill

aerocoupewill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 25, 2020
Sorry to say, but the answer is more than you think or would like as a seller.

Even when these got wrecked or rusty, most guys with towing or wrecking yards knew enough to know they were unusual and set them aside instead of parting/crushing them. I used to see them places I did business with and got told "nope, that one isn't being parted"...

Add to it these were made when everyone knew the gbody line was ending and plenty got bought by an older guy, tossed in a garage, and rubbed with a diaper for the next 20 years.

Many MANY guys either don't bother with forums, or, prefer not to list their cars in databases. My hunch is somewhere around 5500 or so cars would remain. That's just speculation. But, when 100-something examples of cars that only had 200 or so units built in the 80s are tracked down... (I'm thinking regal packages, mera body fieros, etc) you figure maybe 10-20% attrition at most.

going to actually drive the car and take it to shows with my dad didn’t pay much excited to be back in a Gbody , painting the car back to the original silver

ck80

Royal Smart Person
Feb 18, 2014
going to actually drive the car and take it to shows with my dad didn’t pay much excited to be back in a Gbody , painting the car back to the original silver
Well, enjoy it, document the heck out of everything you put into it, and, build a running folder of saved for sale and sold examples of comps just in case something happens.

Also, I'd recommend PAYING a reputable company to remove/reinstall the rear window during paint, just like most shops do these days on new cars. They damage the seal or break the glass it's on them. The better quality of the repaint will add more value down the road than the cost to have the glass handled, and, you can clean up the window channels during paint - and that'd count for the front too...

87National

Master Mechanic
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Just kidding. Nobody knows how many are left, and nobody can tell you exactly how many got the T-tops. GM didn't keep a record of that breakdown. Anyone who thinks they can tell you are just extrapolating from percentages and hunches.

Seems like every 87 aero for sale ad states "1 of 200 with t-tops".

OK, so 3% of the 87 aerocoupes left the factory with t-tops, but nearly half of the 87 aetocoupes that you see for sale at any given time are t-top cars?

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor