BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I had to peel the UMI Sticker off the Sway Bar (it was upside down). No worries though, with all the parts I got from UMI and all the free stickers they throw in, I have enough to cover the whole car! :LOL:

Hutch

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looks great Hutch!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Looks great Hutch!

Thank you sir. It seems every time I make some progress, I realize just how much more has to be done. Guess it's like eating an elephant: One bite at a time.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Beautiful work so far. Definitely a car to be proud of.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I've only got the one 18" proto wheel to check backspace with. :p

Looking good! Balance and braking will be improved with those rims. I wonder about traction? That 455 is going to be a power house down low. How wide can you go in the rear?

BTW, the color combo on your car is my favorite for that year 442. Definitely worthy of the time and money you are putting into it. Thanks for sharing.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Looking good! Balance and braking will be improved with those rims. I wonder about traction? That 455 is going to be a power house down low. How wide can you go in the rear?

BTW, the color combo on your car is my favorite for that year 442. Definitely worthy of the time and money you are putting into it. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, traction will be an issue with a 455 under the hood. I haven't measured the rear spacing yet, but a lot of guys are running 18x9's without issue. The problem comes with what I have. I have (4) 18x8 hoops now. I would have to buy 9's

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

87 rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2018
Thought I would move the build over here from the 442 page. Here's what's been done so far.

Get the car home
442_2.JPG

Tear the front end off
442_4.JPG

Take the engine out
442_5.JPG

Take the body off the frame

Start to strip the frame
442_10.JPG

Sand blast the frame
442_11.JPG

The frame blasted clean
442_12.JPG

The frame coated
442_14.JPG

Install Inline Tube rear disc proportioning valve and stainless brake line
442_15_Proportioning_Valve_2.JPG

Come to grips with rear torque box body rot
442_16_Rusty_Body.JPG

Put the F**D 9 inch with rear disc together
Rear_2.JPG

Rebuild a Monte SS 12.7:1 Constant Ratio Gear Box
Steering_Gear_2.JPG

Show off the Dual Quad intake
Dual_Quad_1.JPG

Test fit the prototype 18 Billet SSIII wheel with silver vinyl inserts and red pin stripe
IMG_3926.JPG

So that's where I am up till now.

Hutch

87 rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2018
where did you buy your proportion valve? working on 87 cutlass street strip car that some one installed rear disc brakes. also did all of your lines work on the new valve?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
where did you buy your proportion valve? working on 87 cutlass street strip car that some one installed rear disc brakes. also did all of your lines work on the new valve?

The Prop Valve is from Inline Tube. **Disclaimer** It is made for a Disc/Disc conversion, but obviously I've no idea if it works well or not. The part number is PR101. Here's the link: https://www.inlinetube.com/_p/prd14/2365847071/product/proportioining-valve-rear-disc--pr101

The stainless lines I got were factory bends for an exact replacement. Fit like a glove.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Beautiful work so far. Definitely a car to be proud of.

Thank you sir. It means a lot. I blame this site for all the how to and encouragement. I learn a lot here, and it helps me move forward.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor