1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
This winter im hoping to start the swap of this engine into my car. Ill get pics up later today. I need some ideas on what transmission i should use. Im hoping to be making around 7-800 hp when im done building it and throw a turbo in the mix. Still planning the build so things may change. any tips or info would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Build a 4L80 from the start. A lot of guys around here have turbo camaros and trans ams and go through stage 5 4l60s all the time

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
If you're staying with the factory computer you shouldn't need a seperate controller.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
700r4 manual valve body any day. I can't get back any of the hours I spent under the 4l60E looking for some b*tch *ss wire that caused a short - can I? :puke:

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
hey guys little bit of an update. Finally made it to a local junkyard yesterday to see if i could scalp some parts for the 5.3 an ended up getting valve covers, 8 coilpacks and the brackets, accesory bracket with powersteering pump, and dipstick all for 105 bucks!!! I know the coil packs may be iffy but 80 bucks was a steal plus i can always upgrade after its running in the car. Still havent got a chance to get pics im workin around 65 to 70 hours a week so sleep is on my agenda most days after work so its little tough right now. And i still havent decided on a trans yet lol but im getting it narrowed down to a th400 or the 700R4 i believe. Thanks guys!

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Alright Guys its been far too long in this build but things are just now heating up. Got the 5.3 block stripped down cleaned painted and in the next week or so gonna start the rebuild. My plans have changed slightly, right now im just going to do a good solid rebuild of the engine and bottle feed it in my cutlass. If it handles that well im going to add a turbo later this spring. If anyone has any tips towards a good LS rebuild feel free to leave some input.

Attachments

• 5.3L paint.jpg
    5.3L paint.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,270

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Well havent been able to do much in the last few weekends or so. I have got some parts coming in. Ive got the engine ready for assembly minus a few parts here and there. Im piecing this engine together as i bought it from someone who scalped some things from it. But it was still too good a deal to pass up. Got my new pistons installed on it today. Just a factory standard rebuild, nothing fancy wanna see how it holds up to some giggle gas before turboing it. Ill get some more pics up when i can get a chance.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Alright guys been working on the motor alot lately. almost ready to put the heads on and set it down into the car. Headers are 3'' collectors with 1 3/4'' primaries, 304 stainless. They just came in today and I wanted to put one on to see what they'd look like so here you go lol

motorheaders.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Okay it's been a long time coming but major progress has been made in the shop. If anyone bothers to read my posts let me know what yall think, I've put alot of time and work into this.
20150330_195603.jpg
20150330_195423.jpg
20150330_195619.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor