1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I have a convertor my buddy gave me he thinks is close to 3500k-4k that I'm going to try. And I really wish it had a better cam it would sound like it can go fast then. The stock cam gives it a great sleeper effect because it's so quiet compared to a aftermarket lol.

As for my trans a 4l80e full manual will be the replacement whenever the th400 let's go. Still holding strong for now though.
Love the sleeper sound and the whistle. Lol

It’s a cool ride man, hopefully you will get to see when mine is on the road in the spring and see what a big stall and full manual looks like. Can’t wait to make some GoPro vids.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
87' t-top cutlass
Stock rebuild 5.3 862 heads truck intake
Billet 7875 .96ar t4 VSR
4inch a2a 3inch piping
All custom hotside
Stock th400 needing a stall
Qp 9in spool, 35 spline axles, disc/disc
275 Hoosiers on a 15x10 stock frame width
Decapped injectors flow rated average 74#

And I dont mind recapping since it's been so long. Had to remind myself what i built too lol. Really don't hope you were still waiting and went ahead and read my build anyway lol.

That's a relatively potent combo. 500whp will be easy if your stock valve springs are up to the task. You're a cam and set of springs away from an easy 650.

FWIW, If you have it together and running, then leave the stock cam until you get the bugs worked out of it - my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
That's a relatively potent combo. 500whp will be easy if your stock valve springs are up to the task. You're a cam and set of springs away from an easy 650.

FWIW, If you have it together and running, then leave the stock cam until you get the bugs worked out of it - my two cents.

Yeah its a handful now with everything. And so far the springs have held up with the stock cam. I have a set of pac 1218s waiting to go in.

And I agree. That's why I havent pushed to order the cam yet lol.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Today I towed my car to a buddies shop where we are going to install the 10pt cage. Got a long list of things to do in a short time. All new brake lines going in, converting to a manual master as well. New solid body mounts while doing the cage and some extra bracing too. Stay tuned.... :)

gbody12-15-18.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Whats up guys?...Been getting alot done to the cutlass since being at my buddies shop. Waiting on a coil spring compressor to come in from amazon but trying to stay busy on it while im off on the holiidays. Going to start getting holes cut for cage and stufff then check it all over once its back on the ground then weld it up once i know its square. Going to do the brake lines over since im swapping to manual. Ill post of some pictures of its current state later today.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Does anybody know where I can find info on installing a fiberglass dash? Been tossing that idea around incase my dash falls apart when I remove for the cage install. Not sure what to expect.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Well I've managed to get a little something done. Got the fuel cell and battery removed today so it won't be in the way while doing the cage. Also went ahead and pulled the dash. And yes I know it looks atrocious lol.

Going to finish ditching the rest of the factory harness and redo mine after I finish the cage. Starting on the cage this weekend after I get my coil springs back in up front. I'm waiting on my spring compressor to be delivered.

I have the solid body mounts and manual brake conversion stuff on hand ready to go in as well. Just need to get some brake tubing and some fittings.

20181226_181250.jpg

20181226_140142.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor