CUTLASS 1987 olds turn signal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I'm looking for a technical assist on turn signals for a 1987 old Cutlass supreme 442. This model has 2 turn signal indicators located on either side of the hood that face back towards the driver. Basically let's the driver know when a turn signal is on. Closer inspection show three wires going to each signal within each fender. I'm missing the wires for the left side. Where do I find parts for a replacement and how does it supposed to function? The other side has 1 tiny light that flashes when the turn signal is activated, but it appears to have 3 separate lights or just 1 light that isn't functioning to full capacity. Any help is appreciated.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As quoted from my Olds Cool build thread...

“Each indicator is split up into 3 sections, each section with its own color. White, blue, and amber. When the signal lights are activated, the amber section flashes, indicating the signal light is on. This also stays lit up when either the marker or headlights are turned on.
When you turn on the headlights, the white section lights up. When the high beams are activated, the blue section is illuminated. This is all done with fibre optics.”

Because this is done via fibre optics and not wires, if you’re missing the optic cables on one side you’ll have to locate replacement parts and reinstall them. To the best of my knowledge they’re not available new, so used will be your only option.
There are no bulbs inside the indicator housings, only coloured lenses. The optic cables transfer the lights up to the lenses where they shine through.

Hope this helps.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
As quoted from my Olds Cool build thread...

“Each indicator is split up into 3 sections, each section with its own color. White, blue, and amber. When the signal lights are activated, the amber section flashes, indicating the signal light is on. This also stays lit up when either the marker or headlights are turned on.
When you turn on the headlights, the white section lights up. When the high beams are activated, the blue section is illuminated. This is all done with fibre optics.”

Because this is done via fibre optics and not wires, if you’re missing the optic cables on one side you’ll have to locate replacement parts and reinstall them. To the best of my knowledge they’re not available new, so used will be your only option.
There are no bulbs inside the indicator housings, only coloured lenses. The optic cables transfer the lights up to the lenses where they shine through.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Makes more sense now. Wiring didn't look normal to me. Fiber optics sound like hard to find to me. Any ideas where to look? Thanks for the low-down.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
IMG_152190934116F.jpg
IMG_152190927251F.jpg
IMG_152190921727F.jpg
Here are a few pics of the fiber optic wiring and light assembly. One wire is larger than the other two and they all go to separate lights. Any assistance with finding some replacements would help. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Any assistance with finding some replacements would help.

No problem, happy to help out.

Like I said earlier, new pieces aren’t available new so you’re going to have to locate used parts somewhere. I would check eBay, or maybe with fellow member 88HurstOlds. I recall him having a complete front set available recently.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor