442 1987 OLDSMOBILE COIL SPRING ASSISTANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I'm looking for any assistance on recommendations for coil spring and shock replacement. I'm trying to bring the vehicle back to its original ride height, but I'm not sure what the factory original spring load rate is on my springs. There seems to be many front and rear spring options depending on load rating and constant or variable types. Can anyone provide me with the original coil spring specifications for the front and rear of a 1987 442? Also, I'm thinking about replacing the shocks with something better than what the factory gave it. Currently, I have the air adjustable rear shocks and the front shocks are the standard OEM. I seen a set of coil spring assisted shocks from Monroe, but I'm not sure if that will make the suspension too stiff. Any recommendations based on ride experience?

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The recommendation that I took when I ordered up my tubular upper control arms and tall ball joints was "For a car to sit slightly lower with higher spring rates... 5658 for the front and 5401 on the rear." for Moog springs.

Reactions: 1 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When somebody complains about a G-body being "too stiff", the first question I ask is what tire pressure they run, and its usually 36 psi cold.

Even 600 lbin springs won't be jarring with 26-28 psi tire pressure, but the 5658's with bilsteins and tall lower ball joints and the car will ride/drive like the GM suspension engineers originally would have spec'd for a 442 if the bean counters and Lawyers had not intervened..

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
Thanks for the info, but it turns out that the ride height is spot-on for correct ride height. I purchased a 1987 Oldsmobile service manual which instructs the user on how to perform ride height measurements. However, it does seem to ride a little too loose. This is my first 80s vehicle that I've had in 25 years, so I may not be used to the suspension system of this older vehicle. I may choose to opt for stiffer springs later, but at least I know that the currents springs are good. Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor