1987 Regal 307 engine, running very harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

88SuperSport

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2009
Hey guys I know this is long but I'm really wondering whats wrong with this car I just picked up

I just bought an 87 Limited Regal with the Olds 307 in it Wensday, drove it home for about a 400 mile trip from Philly. I took it around town before handing over the cash and it ran really great, with about as much power as is to be expected from a (Non H.O.) 307. Shifted smooth 2004r trans, only thing I noticed was a slight tick coming from the top end. I've always heard this is very common on the 307's, a lifter or two sticking, so I wasnt real concerned. Oil and trans fluid were both good. To my knowledge original everything, except the guy said he had the timing chain re-done recently, and the person who did the work said the top end was ok.

I started on the ride home, stopped at a parts store, got gas, got up on the PA turnpike to head home to Ohio. Naturally 5 minutes in on the pike the SES light came on. I was dissapointed but it was running so good I just figured I'd look into when I got home. About 100 miles or so into the ride, the car feltlike the trans was starting to slip or something around 70-75 mph. I'd let off the accelerator and it'd be fine. Then it started doing it around 68-70, so I kept it about 65 for a while, again no prob. Id say around another 50 miles and thats when things started getting bad.

The car would start to shake really bad, and the motor was running terribly rough. Like a bah-bah-bah- idle. If I let off the gas it would correct it but start right up again. There was a turnpike exit coming up (McConnellsburg PA for any of you PA guys in here lol) and it was about to die when I was paying the toll. Car continued to run from bad, to good if I let of the gas a hair, then bad again. Very Intermittent. I smelled coolant but not real strong. Finally found a Sheets, shut her off, let her sit. She was a little low on coolant but not bad, so I topped off the radiator and headed out. Engine light came back on after a mile I'd say, and then the very rough idle started up, to the point where the car had no power up these huge hills, down hill while not under acceleration fine, than horrible uphill again. Id let off from time to time and it would smooth out but then rough again. It really seemed like she was not gonna make it. Finally got back the the Turnpike. Put some ICEE in it and high test shell hoping it was bad gas. Left the gas station, light comes back on, and in about 20 minutes the symptoms came back.

We got to a rest stop Somerset PA, shut it off, ate, came out, headed out again, light came on, only this time the car ran perfect all the way to I-71 Strongsville Ohio, about 2- 2/12 hours of driving. Paid the toll got on the final interstate to come home and bam! Back to running like crap again. Did this almost the whole way home. Slight coolant smell again too. About 2 miles from my house it ran great again, then when I turned down my street it started up. It was late, snowing and cold, had my girlfriend with me and we we're very happy to be home!

I had to move the car in the morning at it would hardly stay running. Ran very rough, I had to almost floor it to keep it alive to back in the driveway and in the garage.

I havnt had to look at it yet, gonna start and try looking at vaccum lines and see if I can find something loose or craked. Are the codes the same as for a 1988 Monte Carlo SS?

Any other ideas you guys have please let me know. I might not get to really look at it til next weekend when Im finally off from both school and work. Hoping to at least figure out whats whong that weekend, if not I may have to take it somewhere. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!!

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
my car recently acted the same until my card was tuned again...i was told if these cars sit without being started the card starts to have problems

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The check engine light coming on right after you get on the highway is usually an oxygen sensor.

As for the running rough, then smoothing out, then running rough again...
I'd check your plug wires for any breaks/melted spots or that they're touching anything hot, as it sounds like one or maybe more of them are grounding out and fouling the plugs.
Also check your distributor cap for cracks and that it's sitting correctly on top of the distributor. This can lead to moisture getting inside the cap and will wreak havoc on the ignition.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
The check engine light coming on right after you get on the highway is usually an oxygen sensor.

As for the running rough, then smoothing out, then running rough again...
I'd check your plug wires for any breaks/melted spots or that they're touching anything hot, as it sounds like one or maybe more of them are grounding out and fouling the plugs.
Also check your distributor cap for cracks and that it's sitting correctly on top of the distributor. This can lead to moisture getting inside the cap and will wreak havoc on the ignition.

All of the above. If none of this fixes the problem, there may be crud in the tank that is periodically being sucked up against the strainer, causing low fuel pressure.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Check the oil for Coolent or see if your burning it, white sweet smelling smoke would tell you if you were.
Also a bad EGR valve can cause bad stumbling as I experienced on a 1100 mile trip from Boston in an 83 Hurst Olds.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What was the code? Could be TPS, carb, EGR, O2, etc.

88SuperSport

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2009
The code was 13. Im gonna replace the 02 Sensor and try to check the operation of the TPS. Also drain the oil and see how it looks. I think the egr valve is working but Im gonna pull it off and check for carbon buildup. Does anyone know which is the proper ACDelco 02 Sensor for the 307 engine? Rock auto has AFS20, AFS21, and AFS22 listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor