1988 cutty exhaust question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony19877

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2015
College Station tx
Hello I have a 1988 cutty supereme and I want to eventualy make it true duel exhaust how ever my local muffler shop said it cant be done that it can onlyhave a cat back system. Does anyone know why? and is there a way around it? I dont know if this helps but where I live anything 1984 of newer has to have a cat on it even though I am allowed to take off all the other smog crap and I dont have to pass an emissions test. Any advice would be appericiated. Thank you.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Shops have to comply with state laws is what it comes down to. It may be necessary to have a cat when you go through inspection for visual purposes. Does your car go through inspection?

If you don't have to worry inspection go to a custom exhaust shop and check if they would do it or pick up a kit from summit/jegs and install yourself if you have the means.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
You should be able to run true duals with 2 cats.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
It might also be due to the fact that the factory transmission crossmember won't allow for dual exhaust. At least not without modification or replacement with an aftermarket piece (like one made by G-Force).

The design of the floor also makes it tricky, though these cars aren't nearly as bad as Camaros/Firebirds of the same vintage.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Muffler shops cannot remove the cat except to replace it by federal law. It's a $10000 fine first time getting caught.
That is likely why the shop won't do it, but you can remove it then take it to the muffler shop and it's legal.
I would replace the crossmember also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor