1988 Monte Carlo LS Street Car Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
My engine block may be done this weekend, if so I will go pick it up. It is being machined by a local super stock racer. Quite accomplished with some Wally's to his credit. The parts are rolling in though my new short travel lifters are not due for 2 more weeks. I need to load my rolling chassis on the trailer to take it to the shop this weekend and drop the body back on. My killer good weather turned to rain today and we expect more this week.

Reactions: 2 users

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Huge progress was made today! The morning started as a rolling chassis with the body on a dolly, the day ended with them married and the six speed and temporary engine block mounted in the chassis. I trial fit the headers and marked the AC box for modifications as well as got my fuel lines mounted back up in the chassis.

25.jpeg

28.jpg

27.jpeg

26.jpeg

24.jpeg

I will get the front sheet metal bolted back in place tomorrow as I wait on my block. From there, we can start engine assembly and then getting it on the road!

BTW, the rear frame rails lined up and had zero issues despite others telling me I needed a tree, comealong, hammer and god knows what else to get it bolted together.

Reactions: 7 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
I'm interested in the 4.3 tbi harness? If avail I'll offer a uncut carb harness,and some other "wants/needs" for the mc? Lmk.good progress.

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Is the blazer v8 swapped?

Yes, I'm running a 18 degree 421 in that.

As for the 4.3, most of that harness stayed in the car as far as gauges and engine operation. I believe i still have the ECM and I may even have the computer harness somewhere in the garage. Its yours if I come up with any of it.

Reactions: 1 users

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
My engine block came home last weekend and I hope to start assembly of it tomorrow. In the meanwhile, the Holley headers are in and as expected, I have modified one header to fit with the stock AC box. overall I am very happy with the price and the ease.

34.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

31.jpg

30.jpg

29.jpg

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So I caught your 1 3/4 header thread earlier today & decided to research what they were intended for. I found & read through this entire thread tonight. You've done some nice work. I'm tagged-in now so I'll be looking forward to your updates.

It's hard to tell 100%, but it looks like you shifted the #4 tube farther out vs. over the top of the #6 tube? Where on the a/c box was the interference? I've been considering options for a 78 Malibu getting a mild 408sbc. I have a used set of full length headers (from a donated motor) plus some mild steel mid-length units (used on a previous g-body}. I looked into some 1 5/8 mid-length 304 SS headers I found online since the car is pretty low compared to most on this site but think maybe 1 3/4 might be the better choice for future growth especially @ the price of the set you utilized.

Reactions: 1 user

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
So I caught your 1 3/4 header thread earlier today & decided to research what they were intended for. I found & read through this entire thread tonight. You've done some nice work. I'm tagged-in now so I'll be looking forward to your updates.

It's hard to tell 100%, but it looks like you shifted the #4 tube farther out vs. over the top of the #6 tube? Where on the a/c box was the interference? I've been considering options for a 78 Malibu getting a mild 408sbc. I have a used set of full length headers (from a donated motor) plus some mild steel mid-length units (used on a previous g-body}. I looked into some 1 5/8 mid-length 304 SS headers I found online since the car is pretty low compared to most on this site but think maybe 1 3/4 might be the better choice for future growth especially @ the price of the set you utilized.

These headers are designed for the roundy round guys. They are a basic design common to Schoenfeld and Dynatech. These headers can be had for as little as 150 bucks or so in mild steel. With these, the headers will protrude about 1 1/2 or 2 inch into and 2-3 inch from the front of the AC box where the aluminum tube comes into the box for the evaporator. While all this is on the one half of the box, it was more then I wanted to play around with. The pictures do not give a real accurate reference. There is a easy hands width between the top of the tubes and the box. I may try to use some header wrap here since they are basically paired in this area. Over all, there are about 4 hours in this modification including cutting, fitting and throwing it back in the car for one final test fit before purging and final welding.

For some reason, there is a lack of affordable single piece 1 3/4 inch headers on the market for these cars despite being such a popular build. Additionally, the ones available do not have 3 1/2 inch collectors like these.

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Here are some pictures showing final welding. Ironically, we did not need any additional materials. The cut section provided for all of the modified routing.

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
These headers are designed for the roundy round guys. They are a basic design common to Schoenfeld and Dynatech. These headers can be had for as little as 150 bucks or so in mild steel. With these, the headers will protrude about 1 1/2 or 2 inch into and 2-3 inch from the front of the AC box where the aluminum tube comes into the box for the evaporator. While all this is on the one half of the box, it was more then I wanted to play around with. The pictures do not give a real accurate reference. There is a easy hands width between the top of the tubes and the box. I may try to use some header wrap here since they are basically paired in this area. Over all, there are about 4 hours in this modification including cutting, fitting and throwing it back in the car for one final test fit before purging and final welding.

For some reason, there is a lack of affordable single piece 1 3/4 inch headers on the market for these cars despite being such a popular build. Additionally, the ones available do not have 3 1/2 inch collectors like these.

How is plug clearance? I have AFR 190's & the full length 1 5/8 headers I mocked up on them had the #5 plug touching the tube (not the plug boot, the plug tip). All other cylinders appeared to have adequate clearance between the plug tip & tubes.

The SS headers I was looking @ are 304 material which I have access to for bends & straight pieces to tweak. But, like you mentioned, for the $$ it might be better to tweak a set like these. The difference will be how low they are beyond the frame rail though for me since the car I'm working on is fairly low (2" spindle & 1" spring up front).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor