1988 Monte Carlo LS ProCharger Build (10/12/21 - Back to Painting, Switching directions for power added)

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Hey guys,

New member here, thought i would go ahead and keep a build post on the car. I am also on LS1tech for obvious purposes. Got this car from a buddy for $500 non running, minimal rust on the body that i could see. There was going to be some work around the vinyl top that i could see due to it cracking and coming up. I want to do a hard top conversion anyways so i knew that was going to be remedied.

Plans for car:
turbo ProCharger D1SC SBE Gen 4 5.3 w/ 243 heads
4l80e with transbrake T-56
Strange fab 9" rear end
Built 8.8
Holley dominator
Full interior w/cage and AC

Got it home and power washed it as it has been sitting for the last 4 years.
QW3hRt6l.jpg

52fFfLnl.jpg

ptXRqBWl.jpg

6m5ta94l.jpg

dg7fJPGl.jpg

Rolled it into the garage to see what i was getting myself into, tore the nose off. I will be removing the body from frame as it will be getting sent off to get boxed and reinforced.
YpgZvF2l.jpg

1YQj0Ejl.jpg

Got a good deal on unreleased VS Racing Billet 7875 Gen 3.
Use2inZl.jpg

KnnUQXYl.jpg

Tore the Vinyl top off to uncover the body seam and any rust. which surprisingly wasn't that much until i got to the rear window.
lPnfgoLl.jpg

PuFBx9Hl.jpg

Xe2V7mZl.jpg

Be0YEdwl.jpg

QwLaBTql.jpg

mP231Cnl.jpg

That leaves me where i am at right now. I am going to find a parts car to get the roof metal from to patch it back and then weld the small pin holes around the quarter windows.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Sweet project!

There are some roof patches and panels available now. May be faster/easier if you don’t have local access to a donor.

Reactions: 1 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Sweet project!

There are some roof patches and panels available now. May be faster/easier if you don’t have local access to a donor.

the only thing I have found in passing was t top roof patches. Which I guess the rear window is the same so I could cut them out but it’s 300 bucks for the panel vs like 30-100 for the section I cut off another car.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I thought that last photo looked familiar! I’ve seen your stuff on FB looking for a car to cut up.
It might be a shot in the dark but if you’ve got some you pull it yards near you, look and see if the roofs are the same. If the windshield and rear window moldings are interchangeable, the roofs might be too.

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Ended up going to the junkyard for a $99 engine day pulled this 5.3 L59 out of a 2006 suburban. Front end pack totaled truck so it was running before it was junked.

Before i gave her the works.
M47Vjhgl.jpg

vYbcsKbl.jpg

Non Castech 706 Heads so they will be fine to run and will maintain the 9.5:1 ratio. You can see how well this engine was maintained.
Y0V0G8Pl.jpg

Still has some crosshatching on the walls, ill probably order new rings and gap them and then dingle berry hone the walls for a fresh seal.
eCvhkFcl.jpg

Took the heads off and de greased them. They cleaned up pretty well.
IzYAye6l.jpg

0MdZ87wl.jpg

And all back together temporarily.
NIPVG5Jl.jpg

guNvSBDl.jpg

Plans for the engine are: Holley 302-1 pan, gap rings and hone walls, replace lifters (Unsure on which ones to get i have had good luck with LS7), ls9 head gaskets, arp studs (have these from a previous build), comp push rods, trunnion upgrade, and BTR Platinum .660 spring kit.

Reactions: 8 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Very nice plan you have in place, I am doing something very similar hopefully to a 94 Blazer I picked up with Typhoon cladding. Very interested to see how this turns out for you

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Very nice plan you have in place, I am doing something very similar hopefully to a 94 Blazer I picked up with Typhoon cladding. Very interested to see how this turns out for you

I didnt really have a plan on my last car so i ended up doing everything 3-4 times over until the very end. I told myself i would write out what i wanted with the car and stick to the plan lol.

My last car for those who are curious. Gen 3 6.0 Lq4 (blew up the gen 4 5.3 because of something dropping inside the intake runner that i was unaware of), Tick Stage 3 built t56, built 8.8 rear end, Billet 7875 turbo. Was pushing just shy of 700rwhp.
WsSwAgrl.jpg

h4vjtGol.jpg

oFTdnCJl.jpg

kW3jG1xl.jpg

Was a fun car, sold it back in september to pay off some bills and buy a ring for my now ex fiance lol.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I didnt really have a plan on my last car so i ended up doing everything 3-4 times over until the very end. I told myself i would write out what i wanted with the car and stick to the plan lol.

My last car for those who are curious. Gen 3 6.0 Lq4 (blew up the gen 4 5.3 because of something dropping inside the intake runner that i was unaware of), Tick Stage 3 built t56, built 8.8 rear end, Billet 7875 turbo. Was pushing just shy of 700rwhp.
WsSwAgrl.jpg

h4vjtGol.jpg

oFTdnCJl.jpg

kW3jG1xl.jpg

Was a fun car, sold it back in september to pay off some bills and buy a ring for my now ex fiance lol.
Sorry to hear bout both outcomes, I'm sure both were kicks to the junk. Bad *ss car all the same

Reactions: 2 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Very nice build. I'm looking forward to this.
love that New Edge. That's my second favorite car. I've been thinking about getting another one for daily.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Put two of those 7875's on it ............and spin it!!!!!!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor