1988 Monte Exhaust help

Status
Not open for further replies.

msharkf2

n00b
Jun 13, 2014
I picked up a nice 1988 Monte LS with the 305-4 engine for my son to run in the IHRA Teen Challenge Races. This racing allows a 13 year old to race a real car with the basic stipulations that 1) I ride with him at the track 2) They only run half track = 1/8 mile passes and 3) the car cannot be quicker than 10.00 in the eighth mile. Well the car runs about 12.00 in the eighth mile and I would like to make it quicker for him. I did pick up a monte SS 3:73 posi rear for the car from a friend what else can I do on the cheap to help this car perform a little better It is BONE STOCK and still has all of the catalytic converter and emissions equipment in place along with stock quadrajet distributor etc I dont want to go too far with this as I do have a monte SS that I bracket race that has a 400 cid that he will move up into in 2 years and I would like for him to have this as his daily car for school etc Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Headers, true duals, should get you were you wanna be ! Maybe some carb work.

Hope that helps, Anyway good luck at the track with your kid and remember safety first.

Gbarrie.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
I like the idea of long tube heads. I would also do true duals. Delete as much of the emissions crap as I could with out getting a CEL light.
Now with the exhaust you have a few options, dual converters, or dual converters over bored. Over boring involves drilling a 2" hole through the stuff that makes up the converter. It allows you to pass a visual inspection but still have the flow.

I would also look at an X pipe if you feel so inclined.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The 3.73's are a great start. I would personally get rid of the computer & related equipment to get the car running consistent and see where your at.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
At WOT, the computer is bypassed for carb control- it's all carb then. The 3.73's will help a lot. Bump the timing up to maybe 4-6 BTDC ( with the dist unplugged). If you don't have to do Emissions testing, then changes to the exhaust will help some. The only Emissions items that affect performance are the Cat, the EFE Valve in the Passenger Exhaust and the AIR pump. All can be removed without affecting the ECM. Everything else is needed for the ECM to control the carb to be as near as Fuel Injection as a carb can get. Removing any other input device can cause the ECM to go into Limp Home Mode ( Full Rich), so I would advise keeping all that "Stuff" if you want this vehicle to also function as a Daily Driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor