1988 olds paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
hello all! Hope the new year is going well! So I took my Olds to the Buick dealer which has a GNX inside the showroom btw. Always love looking at her! Anyways guy told me 3k for a paint job but warned me about the emblems and what not I asked if they could just mask them off he said no. So I’m just wondering if anyone has done a paint job and did you mask off the emblems or did you remove them? Thanks in advance
DE77B14E-1BEB-4B79-9E6E-68DB59E89787.jpeg
AC77DD63-F6AB-429D-AFA3-60E3BA47C7E4.jpeg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Masking off emblems may make things quicker & woun't have that make sure they go back in the right spot, but the quality won't be there. That could lead to adhiesion issues cause that spot won't be properly prepped. That could lead to paint lifting/flaking, there would be that mask line, any dirt under it could get in the fresh paint. I'd remove them & get some 3M emblem tape to reattach them. You'll like the paint job alot better that way.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
Masking off emblems may make things quicker & woun't have that make sure they go back in the right spot, but the quality won't be there. That could lead to adhiesion issues cause that spot won't be properly prepped. That could lead to paint lifting/flaking, there would be that mask line, any dirt under it could get in the fresh paint. I'd remove them & get some 3M emblem tape to reattach them. You'll like the paint job alot better that way.
Same with all the chrome moldings?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Anything attached to the painted surface (emblems, trim, moldings, lights, mirrors, etc..) should be removed. A good shop would strip things down pretty far (which adds labor to the bill) to repaint. Somethings that would be better off to mask due the extra labor would be the door frame trim & the windshild/back glass. There is what is called lift tape for the quarter windows. That will lift the black plastic edges so some paint can go under & prevent the mask lines. The more parts removed, the better finished job.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
Anything attached to the painted surface (emblems, trim, moldings, lights, mirrors, etc..) should be removed. A good shop would strip things down pretty far (which adds labor to the bill) to repaint. Somethings that would be better off to mask due the extra labor would be the door frame trim & the windshild/back glass. There is what is called lift tape for the quarter windows. That will lift the black plastic edges so some paint can go under & prevent the mask lines. The more parts removed, the better finished job.
Thanks! Dude just made me nervous pointing out the clips and emblems could be broken and what not

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is your paint starting to fade, it looks pretty good. No vinyl top is a huge bonus, no hidden rust. As said lines will be left so all emblems and the mouldings with their clips will need removed. Your car needs some RWL Radial T/A's or similar. I have those same rims back on my 88 with T/A's. It is now Tremclad fire red, it was originally white then semi gloss black.

Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
If I were you, I would consider leaving the chrome rocker trim and all the emblems off. Looks much cleaner IMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I were you, I would consider leaving the chrome rocker trim and all the emblems off. Looks much cleaner IMHO.
I guess it depends on the look he is going for, while I agree it would look cleaner removing the chrome rockers it requires bodywork like grinding the stand offs down and filling holes and I believe on a Cutlass this leaves holes in the urethane bumper also

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor