1990 K1500 Runs... Kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Good fuel pressure and funny how fuel volume is important. I had a bad new in box Carter mechanical fuel pump act like your truck did on an Olds 307. I have seen a few of new Qjet paper filters plugged. The blow through test is obviously a good test, even on new EFI filters. We would do that on old ones and occasionally test new ones as well, never found a bad new one. I watch a few of the YouTube channels like Vice Grip Garage. All these long sitting vehicles with screwed brakes. My 70S had Ok brakes, sat for years but I did replace all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder eventually. Even my Dakota just blew a wheel cylinder out of the blue, due to the rear brakes not self adjusting. Probably a master cylinder and new wheel cylinders and maybe some lines and hoses are also in your future. At least one issue is fixed and cheaply.
The rear brakes seem to hang when going in reverse on I think the passenger rear. It'll bring the truck to a halt right quick. Something's gotta be broken in there. The most important issue is solved seemingly so that's good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The rear brakes seem to hang when going in reverse on I think the passenger rear. It'll bring the truck to a halt right quick. Something's gotta be broken in there. The most important issue is solved seemingly so that's good.

I'm surprised they do any kind of stopping. The 8.5" axle's brakes aren't exactly known for that. They're TERRIBLE about not self adjusting. The 9.5 and 10.5 are a different design and don't pull that crap.

Reactions: 1 user

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
I made that contraption and I guess the act of removing the NEW fuel filter made it run.
Congrats on the progress.
I'll file that away in my 'things I've heard of happening' file.
I love those TBI trucks. Had four, hope to have another some day.

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'm surprised they do any kind of stopping. The 8.5" axle's brakes aren't exactly known for that. They're TERRIBLE about not self adjusting. The 9.5 and 10.5 are a different design and don't pull that crap.
Good to know, just went through this on my Dodge Dakota, caused a blown wheel cylinder. I don't remember that on my 94 Z71 but I did pull the drums and set them when I added a Gov lock. Why an off road package was offered with open diffs is beyond me.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Good to know, just went through this on my Dodge Dakota, caused a blown wheel cylinder. I don't remember that on my 94 Z71 but I did pull the drums and set them when I added a Gov lock. Why an off road package was offered with open diffs is beyond me.

It was shocks, skid plates, and stickers. The first 2 could be had without the Z71 package in other ways.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Has this tbi issue ever been resolved?
Yes, removing the fuel filter was the solution. Either trash in the tank plugged the other new filter I installed immediately or it was backwards or whatever, but the truck instantly ran better and actually took rpm after removal.

Also the brake issue on the rear passenger side was a delaminated rear shoe flopping around in the drum and a seized and broken wheel cylinder.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor