1990 plymouth daytona help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok guys, heres the problem, my parents have a 90 daytona 2.5 litre 4 cyl and latly it wont start now,
im not a mechanic by any means, but when you go to start it, it wont even crank over anymore, you get a single tick sound from the starter relay box? so were guessing its the starter or starter solenoid or maybe even the voltage regulator in the alternator, i dont know really. any ideas?
tried boosting from my car, charged battery, its fully charged,cleaned the terimals and connections are tight, ect.

anyone have experience? i know this isent g-body related but you guys are great for advise compared to other forums out there, no b.s from people.thanks

455OLDSMAN

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
I have no experience with daytonas but that kinda sounds like a solenoid. I had an old ford pickup that i replaced the starter solenoid twice on. Same symptoms, good battery and just a click.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
only problem is the solenoid is built into the starter i beleive on these, and from looking its gunna be a real pain to get to becuase the trans axel? is in the way, let alone $120 for a new starter :shock:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the "click" is coming from the starter than you're hearing the solenoid working--the starter is crapped out. if the click is coming from a relay box on the fender or firewall than you need to see if you have keyed power to the starter. is so you need to have the starter tested and probably replaced.
i've heard your description a hundred times or more and i've only seen 1 bad relay and 3 bad solenoids (2 were fords).
ford's used a remote solenoid but dodges (usually) don't ,but will sometimes have a starter relay.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Have you verified that the battery has the ability to start a car? Just because you tried to jump it doesn't mean it got enough juice to start the car. A really dead battery sometimes will not start with a jump. I would take the battery to Autozone and have them test it. They will be able to tell you if it is good or bad. Sometimes a dead cell will allow some functions and not start the car. My AMC with a trunk mount has a nasty habit of shorting out batteries and it will read 12 volts all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor