1JZ or 2JZ in 78-88 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2016
Coeur D'Alene, ID
Has anyone put a 1JZ or 2JZ into a G Body Monte? I know that it has been done to a Caprice Classic. I know they make a trans adapter to mate the JZ motors to a TH400. So..... has anyone done this? If you have, what all has been needed and what was the cost like. I know a V8 swap is obviously going to be much cheaper, but I'm mildly interested in doing something that has never been done (or not done very many times). I broke my back, so I can no longer do the work myself, so I'm really not looking to jump into a project like this with any sort of "trial and error".

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
i have had one mocked up into a Monte. I play with Jdm engines quite a bit I love them. And belive it or not it is quite close the the length of a big block Chevy I can go more in depth in a large post when I get to a computer

Andrew H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2016
Coeur D'Alene, ID
Please do. I'm very serious about doing this swap, but I need to know a cost estimate and what all I'm going to need. I know the basic requirements. Motor, new motor mounts, TH400, trans adapter, piping, wiring, but I don't know the cost or anything else. Also, as someone that used to do all their work themselves, but now having to deal with a broken back (my doc says if I keep building cars and bikes, I'll be finding myself with my own set of wheels in a hurry), so I need to know what to gather and hand to my mechanic.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Okay this is not going off a gbody swap but a 240sx swap the swap ran us about 8500$ run and moving on its own power add another 600$ to that for a tune. Now lucky for us 240sx has a swap kit for the 2jz that includeds engine mounts trans mount adapter for t56 and drive shaft. Ect ect. The engine alone will run you close to 4000$ shipped and on your door step. Transmission the 2jz doesn't produce much power or torque stock. So a stock 400 will work. Rear end on the other hand it will destroy it. I would do more research into the swap since it is quite expensive. Taking from what I learned from the 240sx swap it will be almost double since there will be a lot of fab work and wiring and hours add up like Diet Coke a lot. I would look into special shops that deal with Jdm cars and someone who understands the engine. Also look into the mustang from fast and furious it has a rb26 in it and that would help with some design lead ways.
image.jpeg

Andrew H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2016
Coeur D'Alene, ID
A: That car is hot.

So, I've found a 1JZ, stock, turboed, for $1500, with 30k miles, mainly because we have a JDM motor shop in town. So, that's a huge savings with no shipping involved. I've got a guy that has done a lot of the reverse swaps, V8 into JDM, so that should help. I've found the trans adapter for as low as $450. The wiring and piping is a cost that I still don't know. The hours, of course, are going to be an arm and a leg. The tune is going to probably be about the same, since there's only really one shop in North Idaho that I'd trust to do it. As far as I know, there are going to be the custom motor mounts, which won't be cheap. I've found some good rear ends, with LSD, for around $1k, which isn't bad. The Mustang is something I never thought of, so that will be a good source. I know someone did the same into a Caprice Classic from the late 80's, and he quoted between $5k and $7k, mainly because it had been several years and he couldn't quite remember the price. I think that mainly came because he got the motor from a totaled Supra. So, I think your $8k might be pretty accurate. If I get really lucky, with a "homie hookup" price on the hours, I might get away with it for around $6k, which would be a miracle. I really just want to do this so that I have a Monte that no one else has. A lot of my Chevy enthusiast friends have basically accused me of pure sacrilege, but I really don't care. I just want this done. I think it will be absolutely amazeballs.

Andrew H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2016
Coeur D'Alene, ID
Also, in these cars everyone does a SBC, and I just don't want to be the same as everyone else. No offense to those that do it. It's hard work, badass, and I think they're sexy as hell. I just want something different than the norm.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Aren't JDM engines not US DOT approved and illegal for street use? If they catch you running a JDM they automatically impound your car?

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
A: That car is hot.

So, I've found a 1JZ, stock, turboed, for $1500, with 30k miles, mainly because we have a JDM motor shop in town. So, that's a huge savings with no shipping involved. I've got a guy that has done a lot of the reverse swaps, V8 into JDM, so that should help. I've found the trans adapter for as low as $450. The wiring and piping is a cost that I still don't know. The hours, of course, are going to be an arm and a leg. The tune is going to probably be about the same, since there's only really one shop in North Idaho that I'd trust to do it. As far as I know, there are going to be the custom motor mounts, which won't be cheap. I've found some good rear ends, with LSD, for around $1k, which isn't bad. The Mustang is something I never thought of, so that will be a good source. I know someone did the same into a Caprice Classic from the late 80's, and he quoted between $5k and $7k, mainly because it had been several years and he couldn't quite remember the price. I think that mainly came because he got the motor from a totaled Supra. So, I think your $8k might be pretty accurate. If I get really lucky, with a "homie hookup" price on the hours, I might get away with it for around $6k, which would be a miracle. I really just want to do this so that I have a Monte that no one else has. A lot of my Chevy enthusiast friends have basically accused me of pure sacrilege, but I really don't care. I just want this done. I think it will be absolutely amazeballs.
This is coming from a die hard gm guy but oem to oem 2jz beats almost all v8s and yes even our praised ls

Andrew H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2016
Coeur D'Alene, ID
I completely agree with the 2JZ comment. My main concern is cost and fit. I really want to do it. I'd love to pull to a car show, pop the hood, and just have people stare at it for all of the hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor