2+2=ROFL ROFL ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
I just read the article someone placed on the photos page about the pontiac 2+2. at first i thought this car was sweet however you cannot judge a G by its cover no matter how cleverly designed it is. The 2+2 was dogged from page to page about everything from its lack of power to lack of a useable trunk area. i wonder when common sense stopped working at GM... Also does any one own one of these monstrosities?

it would be sweet to have one but if i had the cash i would throw in a supercharged pont 455 from big al's toybox only 10000

It would be sweet to have one???? U just called it a monstrocity. All g bodies were lacking in power ( accept GN's and t-types).

I've seen 6 over the years and know of one for sale locally for $6500, but it now sports a 350 Chevy, Silver paint, and is missing two of the nose grilles which are practically impossible to find.
Yeah, sadly there is a lot of merit to the things you read. These cars were hurriedly built to qualify the body lines for certification on the NASCAR circuit, next to the Monte SS Aerocoupe. Sadly, they were sloppily rushed through production and few were made. Every one I've seen has major defects around the rear window area, w/ globs of poorly applied factory filler, (which is painfully obvious under the factory paint), in the top-rear halves of the outer sail panels, (near the top of the rear glass). Yes, the tunk opening is a bit narrow, but its the same dimensions inside as every other G-body. The lack of power problem was because Pontiac was forced to use the weak knee'd Chevy LG4 305 and standard issue version of the 200R4. The 4 that I've got to climb into had an open 2:73 diff., (lacking the G80 posi). It is sad how the Grand Prix went from being one of the baddest cars on the road after John DeLorean redesigned it in 1969, stayed mean all thru the 70's, and then died a slow painful death in the 80's when they killed the LJ, the manual, and the Pontiac 301.
(Personal Opinion: had the Pontiac 301 survived longer, it would have seen a bunch of improvements. The turbo version likely would have gone the through the same improvements as the Buick Turbo 6 did, making it into one mean engine.)

i like the pontiac gp 2+2 better than the monte calro aero coupe personally. the whole aero look to it looks better on the gp i think, it might be dog but in 80s what wasnt.

the 2+2 is a monstrosity as far as the horrible powertrain it was matched to. it could have been a lot more than what it was hell there isnt a pontiac engine in this car. Turbo 301 anyone. also lack of t-tops (available on the monte ss aero) and 3.73 rear end drop it down a notch as well. it would also be nice to have a custom shifter (hurst/olds anyone?) made for this one year wonder. as far as owning one it would be sweet to have one with a supercharged pontiac 455 ($10,000) or turbocharged pontiac 301. my cutlass was a monstrosity when i got it but i have learned to tame the wild mess and tune it to how i like it.

my buddy has a,i wanna say 79/80? turbo 301 trans am pace car and that thing is more of a dog than my 305 lg4 monte and his l69 ss , he bought purely for the collectability of it not performance, i think it would have been worse with the turbo 301. and big al is very local to me and 10k for one of his turnkey engines sounds realistic but i believe his engines are more for show than go, i mean of course a supercharged 455 is gonna have power but you vcould probably build one cheaper than you could buy it

The 2+2 may have been a "monstrosity", but it was built for one purpose-to homologate that body style for competition in the NASCAR ranks in the late '80s. Richard Petty had a hand in the design of this model. The 2+2 and the Monte SS aerocoupe were built as an attempt by GM to compete more equally with the Ford Thunderbird on the NASCAR superspeedways at that time. Sales of the 2+2 were never meant to supplant sales of the regular Grand Prix. Pontiac stopped producing their own style of V8 engines in 1980, so by 1986, the only corporate V8 available for the G body was the smal block Chevy, and since the Chevrolet division wasn't willing to share the H.O. L69 engine with Pontiac, then the only V8 that Pontiac could use for the 2+2 was the LG4 305. According to 2 separate reference sources that I have here, as well as being the owner of one of these cars, I can tell you that the only rear end ratio that GM used on these cars was a 3.08/1 ratio, with most them (including mine) being equipped with the RPO code G80 posi option as well. Were they expensive when new?-yes. Did they sell well?-no. The way I look at the 2+2 is similiar to the 1969 Dodge Daytona and the 1970 Plymouth Superbird. Not very practical, popular, or well built in their day, but the Mopar winged cars have turned out to be valuable and in demand. I'm hoping that the same will eventually be true about the 2+2.
By the way, the 2+2 that I have is for sale. It is a project, and will need restoration, but you could end up owning a future NASCAR collectible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor