2+2=ROFL ROFL ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
not to dog the 2+2 by calling it a monstrosity. i just feel that like my cutlass supreme it was a frankenstein of 2nd level parts. which if these were the only options available i cannot blame pontiac. but i have my preferences when it comes to cars and i like to be able to pass soccer mom vans which my car was incapable of when i recieved it from my mom. but with time you make your car what you want it to be which is what owning a car is all about. how much was the 2+2 back in the day and how much will you be selling your project for? also i know that the 2+2 was built to pay homage to the race track pontiac of that era which is pretty cool. it would be sweet to see actual g-body nascars. does anyone have any specs on g body nascars?

the 2+2 was ok for the nascar set up with the light lexan back window but for a street version I don't know the weight of the back window but it's alot heavier than something I'd want on my car especially that high on a vehicle. The nose of the car is nicely shaped

it would be cool to see that front end on a reggie GP

The 2+2 sold for approximately $18,000.00 U.S. dollars when it was new. It just goes to show that there are a few rare and unusual G bodies that produced over the years (Monte SS aerocoupe, Buick GNX, Malibu M80, Hurst Olds, GP 2+2, etc).
I'm asking $3,000.00 OBRO for the 2+2 that I'm selling. The car is located approximately 1.5 hrs driving time northeast of Toronto Ontario Canada.
Reproduction 2+2 parts can be purchased from Lauren Engineering in California. Oh yeah, GM did produce a prototype Grand Prix in 1986 that had the 2+2 nose piece but the regular rear glass & trunklid with a late '80s Trans Am type rear spoiler. The car was painted in a maroon colour, and was kept in the GM heritage collection (at least up until recently).

i wouldn't call it a monstrocity.
but
pontiac could've used a bit more muscle trying to get the L69.
since the Monte SS was already approved, i don't see why the 2+2 was not. same platform, same drivetrain could be used.
my GP is a 2+2 in disguise. has all the options and then some w/a window sticker a couple dollars under 17k.
it will be a 2+2 GM should've built. :twisted:

Munkey, I understand what you're saying, and yes, it would have been easy fo GM to have installed the L69 engine at the factory. In the mid '80s though, there were still divisional rivalries at GM. The L69 was a Chevrolet only engine at that time. It was used exclusively in some Camaro models, and the Monte SS. The Chevrolet division didn't want Pontiac to use the L69 in any of their vehicles, because if the Pontiacs had similiar or equal performance to the Chevrolets, then Chevy might not sell as many cars, and they didn't want that to happen, so Pontiac got the LG4 for the 2+2.

2+2 would make a really good place/platform for an Indian Adventures engine. (aftermarket Pontiac big block)

That would be interesting, and it would definitely be all Pontiac. There have been times over the years when I've done some "what if" wondering with the G body. In the mid '80s, GM had the technology to build a fuel injected V8, manual transmission G body. The Buick GN had the turboed & port fuel injected V6, so the EFI fuel system was available. GM also produced some '87-'88 Monte Carlos with the 4.3 TBI V6. GM also had the manual transmission parts for the A/G body as early as 1978, so I've often wondered why such a G body car was never produced. Probably either emissions certification or fuel econmy standards. Too bad.

The Chevrolet division didn't want Pontiac to use the L69 in any of their vehicles, because if the Pontiacs had similiar or equal performance to the Chevrolets, then Chevy might not sell as many cars, and they didn't want that to happen, so Pontiac got the LG4 for the 2+2.

Not true, The Camaro z-28/Iroc-Z and Firebird T/A were both avail with the L69 in late '83 to the very beginning of 1986 when they killed the option due to continual vapor lock issues from underhood heat buildup... (fuel boil in the carb). I have the GM TSB carb fuel-inlet fan on my Recaro's L69, it helps, but GM should've just revised the routing of all the damn vacuum lines to solve the problem. They act like insulation around the carb/intake.

....having the G80 posi and 3:08:1 ratio axle?, that simply is not fact. That may have been true if you ordered the G80 posi, but again, I have personally looked thru 4 of these cars, two were on used car lots, 1 was the local car/private sale near me, and the 4th was at a car show. They all had RPO GU2 denoting a 2:73 ratio and lacked RPO G80 on the SPID. Also, to further that a little more, if the posi was standard, why would they not offer it in the Series III carrier with a better ratio like the Monte SS? The Series II carrier was limited up to a 3:08 ring gear... a 2:73 wouldn't be so unlikely if it lacked the posi like the 90% of the other G-Body's? Perhaps the 3:08 gear was a Canadian thing, or a dealer delete item to make them more affordable? Maybe a Regional US Smog related thing to save on the guzzler tax (Northeast US)? I dunno, but I know what I read.

As for what could have been, for some unknown reason, GM sold the Monte SS in Mexico (& possibly elsewhere), with a stick. Why they couldn't get it to happen in the US/Canada is a absolute mystery, the F-Body had no major issues with smog or durability unless you beat the ever living hell outta it. Granted they're not the stongest case/internals and the WC is only marginally better, but it shoulda happened. Personally, I think it had to do with GM's cost cutting, tooling/logistics, and bottom line profit margins.

Brother Al, I don't mean to be picky here, but I own a 2+2. I've got the build sheet and the SPD label for the car, and both pieces of paperwork list the GU4 axle, which is the 3.08 ratio, and the G80 option, which is positraction.
I have the March 2007 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, where they've consulted with Pontiac Historical Services, which is a U.S. only service, and on page 42 of the magazine, the writer states "Besides the mandatory Y97 2+2 package, the vast majority of 2+2s were loaded with the following options:AU3 power door locks, AO1 tinted windows, A31 power windows, CD4 pulse wipers, C60 manual control air conditioning, D35 left-hand remote and right-hand manual-control outside rear view mirrors, FE2 ride and handling package, GU4 3.08 rear axle ratio, G80 limited slip rear axle, K34 electronic cruise control, MW9 200-4R four speed automatic overdrive transmission, NP5 leather wrapped steering wheel, N33 tilt steering column, N83 15 X 7-inch Rally II wheels, UE8 digital electric clock, UK5 AM/FM stereo with cassette, U21 instrument cluster with gauges and tachometer, and VO8 heavy duty cooling system. All 1,225 (a number procured from our friends at Pontiac Historical Services) 2+2s were silver, with charcoal rockers and a red stripe separating the colors, though a couple of cars built for executives are reported to have been painted maroon."
Maybe the cars that you've seen have been in the small minority that didn't have the 3.08 axle.
Also, in the 3rd edition of The Standard Guide to American Muscle Cars a Supercar Source Book 1960-2000, which is edited by John Gunnell, it states on page 259, "Mechanically, the LG4 305-cid Chevy small block V-8 was rated at 165 hp, up 15 from the regular 305 in the Grand Prix. A four-speed speed automatic overdrive transmission and 3.08:1 rear end gearing kept things on the calm side. Front and rear stabilizer bars, stronger shocks and 215/65R15 Goodyear Eagle GT tires firmed up the ride and handling."
Do you have any documentation that states otherwise? Just saying what I know, and what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor