2+2=ROFL ROFL ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, unfortunately I have no records to refute that information, just my word which means squat on the WWW. :lol:
As you and the Hemmings Article stated, "most came equipped with...", but it obviously implied not all were, possibly more if you want to read into that a bit. As with many articles & "General Knowledge" involving 80's era muscle, there is a lot of misinformation out there. A recent issue of Hemmings featured the Daytona 500 Trans Am. There were several glaring problems with the feature car and some of the "Factual" information Hemmings provided wasn't correct. "Simo" and "DT500" are two of the leading '83 Daytona Guru's and made much light of the errors. They do make mistakes and readily admit to it in their corrections dept. Another car seemingly made mythical were Monte's & Cutlass's equipped with the first version of Buick Turbo 3.8. They were pigs, like their early Turbo Buick kin, and that's why they didn't last long. but they exist none-the-less.

"3rd edition of The Standard Guide to American Muscle Cars a Supercar Source Book 1960-2000"
I have his 4th Edition, it is pretty much the same info, adds a few cars, but it still omits a bunch of the notable '74 to '85 Pontiac milestones and definately has errors throughout. One notable one you mentioned was "Mechanically, the LG4 305-cid Chevy small block V-8 was rated at 165 hp, up 15 from the regular 305 in the Grand Prix."
Fact: All 1987 LG4 305ci: (VIN engine suffix "H"), 9.3:1, 165hp @ 4400, 245tq @ 2800, 4bbl E4ME Q-jet. The correct info is that hp was up 10-15hp in 1987 from the 1986 LG4 ratings, but actually there's ZERO differences in the engines. The only things that could account for that is use of the L69 exhaust system or a simple typo. An LG4 is an LG4 no matter what its in. These cars were somewhat hand-built on the line so its possible that certain "goodies" were added, but unlikely. Only the Monte SS got the L69 HO and was it rated at 180hp/190hp, (VIN engine suffix "G").
It is meant to be a Guide, as the foreword states, and is clearly not a "Red Book" for authentification and "Correct" info. No disrespect to him or you, but that guide covers over 300 cars that were made by every American manufacturer, built over a 40 year time-frame, and all "qualified" by the editor. Real verifications need to be made using PHS, a 2+2 Registry, all of the original Pontiac brochures, and any PMD Service/Dealer Bulletins.

I was heavily involved in ACES, American Chevelle Enthusiast Society in the early/mid 90's. There was a huge call for option verifications, paint/chalk markings, build sheets, etc for the '68-'72 Chevelle's, El Camino's, & Monte Carlo's to create the Chevelle Red Book. This was daunting because the internet was AOL in 3 colors and slow as hell, everything revolved around phone calls, fax, snail mail, and real photo's, so I am fully aware of what is involved in the research and info gathering. My point is that there just hasn't been a serious attempt to verify all of the 2+2 info yet. Does anyone even know their build time-frame & vin build sequence?

I have no problem with you questioning me, and personally deem it quite appropriate. The issue here is that until all of the things I stated above are actually done, refering to a Hemmings Muscle article and a Guide covering some 300 "Muscle Cars" as qualifiers of data will only cause future mayhem for restorers and the 2+2 history, more so now that Pontiac is dead. Again, these cars were rushed thru production for reasons stated above. I am willing to bet that there was a lot of things "overlooked" just to get them out the door. These cars, like the '81-'84 Recaro T/A's were pretty much forgotten until recently. Now they are being rediscovered and this is where owners such as yourself need to get together and start gathering correct info so these kinds of issues are resolved.

Thanks for your thoughtful rebuttal. I'm not going to pursue the spec & number issue any further, I've said my piece. There is some other info that I've read over the years, which I can't back up with any documentation. To the best of my knowledge, the 2+2s were built fairly early in the calender year 1986. I don't have any info on any specific VIN sequence during their production. The 2+2 that I have was built at the GM plant in Ste. Therese Quebec. This plant was eventually tooled up to produce the F body cars in the '90s up until their production ended in 2002 (prior to the 2010 Camaro being introduced last year). The Ste. Therese plant doesn't exist anymore. A few years ago, I looked at another 2+2 for sale, prior to purchasing the one that I have now. The seller told me at that time that he remembered seeing truckloads of incomplete 2+2s going along the highway through Toronto. He told me that the cars were built as incomplete vehicles in Quebec, then shipped to the States, to have the front nosepiece, rear glass and trunklid installed. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but it could be plausible, because GM did that with other vehicles (Pontiac Can Am).

GM got around paying duty on cars that were unfinished since it was considered incomplete....they did the same thing shipping cars to Quebec to have them completed....

pimplogic said:
I just read the article someone placed on the photos page about the pontiac 2+2. at first i thought this car was sweet however you cannot judge a G by its cover no matter how cleverly designed it is. The 2+2 was dogged from page to page about everything from its lack of power to lack of a useable trunk area. i wonder when common sense stopped working at GM... Also does any one own one of these monstrosities?

you are aware GM only made them so pontiac could have a competitive car in NASCAR yes?

that's why they had a worse gear than the aerocoupe, didnt get the HO engine like the aerocoupe and had a sucky trunk lid with minimal access to the trunk.

i like the nose of the 2+2 and that's about it.

clean8485 said:
Brother Al, I don't mean to be picky here, but I own a 2+2. I've got the build sheet and the SPD label for the car, and both pieces of paperwork list the GU4 axle, which is the 3.08 ratio, and the G80 option, which is positraction.

my GP is a reg LE and is factory optioned w/G80 and 3.08 ratio.
i have all paperwork for it as well.

not sure what my info has to do w/this debate tho. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor