2" cowl hood 78 Monte help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
guys, any knowledge on where to get this? Think I'm going to need it for my build... What do you guys have and where have you bought from? The only ones I've searched are fiberglass and are lift-off hoods... I know nothing about these and would appreciate any experience you have. Thanks

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
It depends on your time frame, budget, and intended purpose of the car. Goodmark makes nice steel cowl hoods if you are just looking for clearance, but they could get pricey unless you find a deal on it used. Harwood makes nice fiberglass bolt on hoods, the price is similiar and it would weigh half as much. They pop up used from time to time also, but you might be looking for a while. I personally went with a pin on that I traded a stock one for. My car is a street and strip car so that is what I wanted.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
thanks... mostly street driven.. no issues with quality, etc?? no issues with fiberglass, just want to make sure it works well. thanks
how difficult is it to take off a fiberglass hood anyway?

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
thanks... mostly street driven.. no issues with quality, etc?? no issues with fiberglass, just want to make sure it works well. thanks
how difficult is it to take off a fiberglass hood anyway?
The hood I got is used and it doesn't have any cracks around the hood pin holes. It came off of a street car. I can pick it up with one hand so I can't see any problems removing it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You will be limited on selection with a 78'-80' hood but for a street car I would go with a bolt on hood in either fiberglass or steel.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks 565, I'll search Harwood...there is also a place in Addison Il, VTS, I believe, they may only have 3" setups, which I think is too big for a street driver. So when you go to shows or maintenance, where do you stash yours?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks 565, I'll search Harwood...there is also a place in Addison Il, VTS, I believe, they may only have 3" setups, which I think is too big for a street driver. So when you go to shows or maintenance, where do you stash yours?
Mine is a 4" bolt on cowl hood from Harwood but they do not list one for your year Monte,for a 2" cowl hood try US Body Source, and maybe Showcars-bodyparts, also VFN makes a 4" cowl bolt on for 78'-80'.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks... Just went to show cars website, saw the 2" cowl available and sent an email for info... Thanks, these companies don't show up on a Google search other than a couple, like VFN.... Whose pillar pod did you use for your Gage's and application? I'd like to also swap into a better dash setup, whose do you like? Thanks for the continued help!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks... Just went to show cars website, saw the 2" cowl available and sent an email for info... Thanks, these companies don't show up on a Google search other than a couple, like VFN.... Whose pillar pod did you use for your Gage's and application? I'd like to also swap into a better dash setup, whose do you like? Thanks for the continued help!
I have spent a lot of time in the past looking for fiberglass parts so I know most of the names without using Google.
My pillar pod is an Autometer 2 gauge pod for Gbody, for the dash set up I decided to just make my own and spend my money on quality gauges instead of an expensive dash insert.

Last edited:

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Yeah, I get it- have any good pics of the dash? If it looks possible for me, I'd like that route myself... Running out of $$ already, geeze...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor