2 day drag racing event, riverhead long island

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
These guys need to be REALLY careful. This is a first time event and it took a long time to get here. If there are any crashes it could preclude this ever happening again. I know they are limiting it to 6.0 and 115 in the 1/8 but that is still a mid 9 second car. The runway is going to be slick, so good judgment rather than showing off or trying for low timeslips may need to be practiced. And for those wondering if I have a dog in this race, I was there the day National closed, and I was in the final in Super Eliminator on the day Westhampton closed. So I know the status of the tracks on Long Island.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I would think that something like this would be held to an 1/8 mile event if it's not a fully prepped track with all of the necessary safety equipment. Alot less trouble can occur in an 1/8 mile and also alot less prep and safety equipment needed.

bracketchev1221's comment about using good judgement will most likely be heeded by many, but all it takes is a couple of nitwits to throw a monkey wrench in the works.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm always in favor of seeing a drag racing venue starting, too many are biting the dust. As it has been stated there are concerns about track conditions and I would hope the cars would have to pass tech equivalent to NHRA - AHRA. That being said I wouldn't know way a drag racer would want to attend for nothing more than an expensive test & tune on virgin pavement

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I'm always in favor of seeing a drag racing venue starting, too many are biting the dust. As it has been stated there are concerns about track conditions and I would hope the cars would have to pass tech equivalent to NHRA - AHRA. That being said I wouldn't know way a drag racer would want to attend for nothing more than an expensive test & tune on virgin pavement
Well at this point there’s a lot of people that are looking to race somewhere. The last track there closed 17 years ago.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've been to Potomac Airpark in Berkley Springs, WV. It's basically Street Outlaws in real life. There are no clocks, you bring your own prep, racing is grudge style or for money, there's no tech, and the return road is the left side of the track with no barrier. It was super-sketchy, and not too much fun by myself. I did end up running a few guys, but I was also the 2nd slowest car there. It wasn't very organized, and the pits are at the end of the shutdown. It's a very long walk to the starting line. I'd definitely go back, though. I now have a line lock to compensate for the short burnout box to starting line distance, and I'll take a friend to put the Skinnie's Secert Sauce down. Oh, and they didn't put my slow junk in the video.....

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well at this point there’s a lot of people that are looking to race somewhere. The last track there closed 17 years ago.
It sucks not having a track nearby. We are in the second season without a track, but at least I can drive to 3 that are within 2 hours, nearest being a little over an hour.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would think that something like this would be held to an 1/8 mile event if it's not a fully prepped track with all of the necessary safety equipment. Alot less trouble can occur in an 1/8 mile and also alot less prep and safety equipment needed.

bracketchev1221's comment about using good judgement will most likely be heeded by many, but all it takes is a couple of nitwits to throw a monkey wrench in the works.
I'm afraid that the politicians are looking to give the "racers" enough rope to hang themselves with. They have not been able to get a track for so many years. So that if something happens, that will squash all future talks with negative outlook on racing. I don't know maybe I am over analyzing it.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Of course they would do an event like this just after I move out of state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor