MALIBU 2 inch spindle drop or replace coils ? 81 Malibu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
I see a lot of people installing 2 inch drop spindles on their G body ... is this a better way to go instead of installing lower springs ?

Any help appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did both- Belltech 2" drop Blazer spindles and Moog 5660 springs. My car is my daily, so how low you go really depends on how much bottoming out you can tolerate (tires hit the tops of the inner fenders on big dips). I'd like to go lower with the tall lower ball joints (another 3/4" drop), but won't until I drop to a shorter tire (26.4 v 25.4" tall).

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy used dropped spindles and his tie rods ended up hitting his wheels. But being the stubburn type he then added spacers that made the front wheels stick out too far. He finally found the correct offset Centerlines that cleared the tie rods. My point is that you need to investigate fully the changes the spindles cause. My way is to cut the springs themselves and avoid the headaches.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I would always go for lowering springs with a higher spring rate to stiffen the front. Stock springs with drop spindles will lower the car, but won't affect the plush ride. Combining both is possible, but as said before might be too low depending on your wheel and tire combination. A set of good shocks dialed in for your application should also be on the shopping list.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I went with 2 inch drop spindles and it lowered the front of the car 3 inches. A inch more than I wanted. I plan to change the spindles to Blazer spindles and lowering springs in the near future. Also found some wheels will rub the tierods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor