2 questions re: door glass and front clip removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, project moving along. To remove the front clip as a unit- how do I? Basically just remove radiator from support, everything else comes out together? Also, I'm taking doors off... Have you typically removed glass first or leave in? Thanks, this has now become a frame-off...

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
To remove as an assembly.

Not sure which G-body you have so I'll describe Regal since that is what I have.

Remove radiator.
Remove front bumper
Unplug all lights and pull wiring out of front clip parts.
Unhook hood latch cable
Remove battery
Depending on options you will need to unhook or remove accessories on inner fender wells. (ie cruise, washer bottle, relay block, etc)
2 bolts lower radiator support.
1 top bolt each side by hinges.
1 bolt each side inside door near top hinge.
1 bolt each side inside door near bottom hinge.
1 bolt each side underneath rear of fender just in front of door.
1 bolt each side in the wheel well.
Remove wheels is not required but can help for more space.

NOTE: keep track of # of and thickness of shims under each bolt for reassembly (Very Important!)

Depending on which G you have there are some small variances, but this is the main list.

At this point you will need help, it can be done with two people, but much easier with 3 due to size of assembly. Pull entire assembly forward a little bit, then should be able to lift up and out of the way.

and no do not need remove glass.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
To remove as an assembly.

Not sure which G-body you have so I'll describe Regal since that is what I have.

Remove radiator.
Remove front bumper
Unplug all lights and pull wiring out of front clip parts.
Unhook hood latch cable
Remove battery
Depending on options you will need to unhook or remove accessories on inner fender wells. (ie cruise, washer bottle, relay block, etc)
2 bolts lower radiator support.
1 top bolt each side by hinges.
1 bolt each side inside door near top hinge.
1 bolt each side inside door near bottom hinge.
1 bolt each side underneath rear of fender just in front of door.
1 bolt each side in the wheel well.
Remove wheels is not required but can help for more space.

NOTE: keep track of # of and thickness of shims under each bolt for reassembly (Very Important!)

Depending on which G you have there are some small variances, but this is the main list.

At this point you will need help, it can be done with two people, but much easier with 3 due to size of assembly. Pull entire assembly forward a little bit, then should be able to lift up and out of the way.

and no do not need remove glass.
Thanks much for this info... I have a '78 monte.... I'll document as I go...

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Different question for you guys... When removing the doors, do you leave the hinge attached to the door, the body or remove hinge from both for painting? Can't remember if I've read leave it attched to one part or not for easier alignment when placing back on... Thanks

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Since you are pulling the front clip the hinges will be easily accessible. One of the easiest way to put hinges back in the original spots is drill a small 1/8 hole through hinge plate and door and hinge plate and body side. On reassembly use it as a guide for alignment. This only works well if the hinges are in good shape and or have never been removed before.
With most of these cars the hinge pins are worn out and need replaced or repaired, so on reassembly the doors will align well and don't have sag any more. If you are fixing the hinges or replacing you will end up with a new alignment on the hinges so just need to do the tedious process of getting each door correct with the body lines. Doors are probably the biggest headache to align IMO.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor