200-4r advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
i know i asked awhile ago and no one really had any answers so not expecting a miracle since thisnt isnt so much of a transmission board as it is mod,engine rebuild and swap so if anyone has any advice on a site i should look into id be very appriciative.anyway if anyone knows when adjusting the tv system on the 200-4r and your looking through the tv sight hole is it supposed to be between the two notches of the tv valve completely untouched or when loaded as it is when the throttle valve cable is set into place and adjusted.i know it wants to be dead center on the tv valve i just dont know if its supposed to be under slight load(i.e. when the pressure is put on by the throttle valve being hooked up and adjusted at the carb) or if its supposed to be dead center fully extended.any help would be awesome

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
First, you should have a cable that has the black teardrop end like the picture. Second, it's a throttle valve cable. It relies on the position of the throttle to pick whatever gear. The cable should be fully extended when the carb is at full open, and fully retracted when at idle. That gives a good starting point, and you can make minute adjustments tighter or looser to fine tune how you want it to shift. The cable has to be on the low part of the throttle arm, and has to me nearly parallel with the intake for proper geometry. Here's also a small superchevy article on adjusting it: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/65138-adjusting-tv-cable/

Attachments

• control-connected.jpg
    control-connected.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 167

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
nooo i comletely understand that and have the correct geomtry and set up but i got a valve body off ebay and everything is fine ecept the location of the tv valve in the body itself.basically i found the info i needed off bowtie overdrives website of the short stroke vs long stroke conditions and have to get a little longer spring than one that i have and alittle shorter than another one i have lol.sorry for the mix up guys

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
also agree with pontiacgp,no disrespect but it is bad practice and will burn up these trannys fast is you try to adjust the shift points via the cable.a notch tighter or shorter is generally ok but much more is bad

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
also agree with pontiacgp,no disrespect but it is bad practice and will burn up these trannys fast is you try to adjust the shift points via the cable.a notch tighter or shorter is generally ok but much more is bad
That's what I mean. You can adjust it very minutely one way or the other, but I mean minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor