200-4R build it's starting Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Hey gbf,

Some of you have seen my other thread asking about building the 200-4R. Tonight I made a little platform with some wooden saw horses and took out the servo and lock up wiring. Not much but finally doing something with it after sitting on it for a year.

The transmission is a czf out of an 87 Monte ss. Mileage is unknown but the fluid as pretty clean. I haven't even put a dent in this build but it will be a little slow as time becomes available.

I want to give a big thanks to Texas t I've been going back and forth picking his brain from his build he gave me a ton of great info.

My plan is to build a solid transmission that can handle 400 hp possibly 500 in case I build more power later on. A billet forward drum is in the plan which is the major failure in these transmissions when power levels rise in the 400hp range from what I've read.
I will update this list of parts on this first post so it's in one spot

I got most thing from ebay so far this is what I have gotten from ebay so far.

Rebuild kit
Shift kit with servo included
Stator with hardened splines
Hardened sun shell

Some links of sites that I got info from
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic3814.html
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=180422377403

Well here is bit of what I've done.

Note I removed the clip from the servo first. I tapped the servo with a rubber hammer before I removed the clip to get it loosened up. Then pushed the servo in a bit to remove the clip

This is actually cz5 which id's a 87 Monte ss valve body

Here are some parts I got for my rebuild

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll answer what I can. I'm not an ase or transmission tech just one mechanically inclined guy who likes to do stuff myself like we here on gbf like to do.

Thanks for all who gave input . I will keep you guys updated. I should be doing more disassembly on Friday.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
Thank you sir! I plan to do the same job on a GN 200r4.. had it for a while. .just hesitant to get started. If you don't mind can you pm me were you got your new parts?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Joe.
I still got to get my s**t together. Other $$$ issues came up, so I'll be draggin' behind a bit. I will follow your thread in the meantime.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Thank you sir! I plan to do the same job on a GN 200r4.. had it for a while. .just hesitant to get started. If you don't mind can you pm me were you got your new parts?

I updated the first post with the parts list and I will keep adding as I go along in case others want to take a look as well.

Lookin' good, Joe.
I still got to get my s**t together. Other $$$ issues came up, so I'll be draggin' behind a bit. I will follow your thread in the meantime.

I know very well how that goes LOL. Gotta get stuff while you can beacause it seems everytime you save and wait something comes up where you have to spend all the money you put aside. That is what happend to me atleast. I had the money to almost buy the trans and then I had to redo my engine.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know very well how that goes LOL. Gotta get stuff while you can because it seems everytime you save and wait something comes up where you have to spend all the money you put aside. That is what happend to me atleast. I had the money to almost buy the trans and then I had to redo my engine.
You're so right about that...lol! I also find the longer you put something off, the higher the prices are when it comes time to purchase the parts.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Very cool, I'll be following this also. My brother has the yank the 2004r out of his wifes BBC Malibu for rebuild, this would be a great resource for pictures and like. He already had the same shift kit in there now, but thinking about getting a kit from CK.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I disassembled the trans today. It was pretty easy. I used basic hand tools nothing transmission specific. Just have to be careful. I also downloaded the atsg 200-4R Manual from the atsg site.

Valve body removal. Make sure to take reference pics
20151116_105022_zpsfaimxids.jpg
[/URL]

Make sure you note where the check balls are. The atsg manual also tell you where they goi if you don't have pics.

20151116_110052_zpsimpk4qcb.jpg
[/URL]

[URL=http://s25.photobucket.com/user/SUBY255/media/Joes%201980%20Malibu%20Resto/200-4R%20Rebuild/20151116_110240_zpstx4wipnw.jpg.html]

Governor
20151116_141925_zpsqiv3mbkq.jpg
[/URL]

Accumaulator

Be sure to remove the two bolts in the center. These hold the center support.

Here I used a clamp on the stator shaft to be able to grab it with a three jaw puller. I used a harmonic balancer washer to prevent from damaging the input shaft

Front pump

Thanks,

Joe

Reactions: 3 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Getting to the 4th gear od clutch

Snap Ring.

Take out the spring assembly now before the snap ring in the next step

You can use needle nose to remove this or a big snap ring plier probably easier but not necessary

Turned the case upside down and wiggled it to get theCenter support, forward clutch and direct drum out

Here they are out.

Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
This band has seen better days

Front Gear assembly There is a snap ring here to remove before pulling this out.

The sun shell is right behind it

Left_ Forward gear assembly and sun shell right- Forward drum Clutch

Center support top and and direct drum bottom

Front pump, od 4th clutch Retainer and spring assembly for 4th clutch

Lo/ Reverse clutch last thing to come out. It pulled out easy thankfully so I didn't need the lo reverse tool.

Empty Case

I still have to take apart the clutches and such. Still a lot of work to do but I'll keep you guys updated. When removing parts take them out slow since there are multiple parts to the units.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor