200-4R Difficult to WOT 4->3 downshift

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK so after driving something like 20hrs in the Cutlass I'm just fed up with trying to get this thing to downshift from OD at WOT. I have to practically stand on the thing and put the pedal through the floor to get it to kick down, and even then its a crap shoot, or it does it but then shifts back up again in literally 2 seconds. I can get the converter to unlock easy enough, but when I want it to kick down and stay that way.

I know jack squat about 200-4R and the whole TV cable adjustment can of worms. Is this a simple thing to fix or what. I've tried searching for answers but I guess I'm using the wrong terms, just keep coming up with info about shift kits and bad TV cable adustments.... I don't think its adjusted "Wrong" or I'd have burned it up a long time ago.

Where to start here? I'll dig into the SM's when I get home, just wanted to throw it out there while I'm thinking about it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Get under the hood and do an adjustment of the TV cable. Pull it back to reset position and then use the CARB linkage to ratchet it. Not the gas pedal. Obviously you want the engine off when you do this.

The ideal situation is you have the proper carburetor on the car as different carbs may have different geometry which would only compound problems. Generally, a Qjet from a 200-4R car will be correct. I'm sure you've probably adjusted these before and sometimes that little metal tab can be a real SOB to press in enough to release the cable to pull the sheathing back toward the firewall.

Try it. It's easy and FREE!

From the 84 CSM:

TV cable adjust procedure 1.JPG

TV cable adjust procedure 2.JPG

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
CSM mentions several wild guess internal potential issues of why it might be doing what it's doing as well. But that would involve invasion of the transmission and further testing which is unlikely to be happening where you are now.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The governor on non GN/442/SS trans do suck also. My NA 5.0 2004r had Terrible sh*t points even in adjusted tv cable form.

I did the cut the governor down to GN spec in both my cars and it helped at lot. Take a spring out, cut some weight off and it your good.

Basically it's just a speedometer housing gasket and trans filter and oil to get it out.

Reactions: 1 users

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Sounds like the gas pedal is not pulling the carb linkage to max open.
At the carb open throttle to WOT. Verify blades are open 100%. While holding at WOT press down on TV cable. Should be banjo tight with little to no deflection.

Next have someone floor the pedal and verify throttle blades are at same 100% open. Sounds like the pedal is only opening the blades 85-90%.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Also check for floor mat or thick carpet/backing getting behind gas pedal keeping it from actually being full open. Factory throttle cables can and do stretch not allowing for full throttle opening after years and years as well, but you should be getting solid kickdown unless it's really stretched.

Make sure it's the right part too. When I had a transmission rebuilt many moons ago they put in a TV cable for a DIESEL (ordered right part, dealer or warehouse goofed that up). WAY too long and didn't work without putting a barrel stay on the cable to shorten it up to make it useable. They put the right cable on it once it came in. p/n 25508262. (Aftermarket part CA-1937, ATP Y314. No idea how the aftermarket stuff is when it comes to quality) Interesting too is that GM throttle cables for G-body Olds with Qjet is super scarce to non-existent, p/n 25504322 or equivalent. (Pioneer CA-8497 and ATP Y214 are the aftermarket versions, but I've never used any)

But again, when adjusting the TV cable, do it under the hood with the carburetor linkage hand-moved to WOT, DON'T do it using the gas pedal or you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 3 users

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Can anyone advise me on adjusting the Cable for the 200 4r (OZ) attached to a 350SBC with and Edelbrock 600 ( 1405/1406)
Thanks In advance

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can anyone advise me on adjusting the Cable for the 200 4r (OZ) attached to a 350SBC with and Edelbrock 600 ( 1405/1406)
Thanks In advance
This is the gotcha in post#2. The Ebrock and Qjet have different bellcrank lengths. Apologies that I'm stating a problem without providing the solution. If you have a Qjet for reference, you might do some experimenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The governor on non GN/442/SS trans do suck also. My NA 5.0 2004r had Terrible sh*t points even in adjusted tv cable form.

I did the cut the governor down to GN spec in both my cars and it helped at lot. Take a spring out, cut some weight off and it your good.

Basically it's just a speedometer housing gasket and trans filter and oil to get it out.
Jake,
How do you know how much to actually remove from the governor? Is it trial and error? I know I'll be faced with modifying the governor or finding one from a GN, Monte SS, H/O, 442.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor