200-4r rebuild 1986 MC SS in a Elco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I bought a used 1986 MC SS transmission 2014 and put it in my 1985 Elco behind a 300ish HP newly rebuilt 350. Ive always had problems with either it has long rubber band like shifts or currently it wont shift under full throttle. Ive had it to 3 different mechanics to set it up and it always comes back different but not right. All I want is firm shifts under WOT at an rpm that doesnt blow the motor, the heads are hi compression so i need to match that. Ive got an appointment to bring it in to be rebuilt on monday and i wanna make sure i get what i want. Is there a kit that they can use, do i need a shift kit, what should i ask them before giving them the ok. At this point its we can rebuild it for 2k, and that doesnt really tell me what im getting. Can anyone give me some advice so i don't walk in ready to be bent over. I don't mind paying up to 3k cdn just want crisp shifts under wot that doesn't explode. the motor may very well be well over 300HP IDK i do know when I hit the throttle it redlines in about 2 sec. I dont have time to shift.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 320

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If it does need to be rebuilt your much better off taking it to someone who specializes in these transmissions. These transmissions can be finicky and not just any trans shop can do them correctly and have them last. Not to mention you may get inferior and or incorrect parts such as the wrong valve body or torque converter swapped in. There is quite a few good builders here in the states but I have no idea of any in Canada. Best bet is to talk to some local GN guys and see who they recommend.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did any of those mechanics ever take the car for a test run? I would find a transmission mechanic who has experience and a good reputation for the 200 4r to get his/her opinion of what the problem is before handing it over for a rebuild. Someone who know the 200 4r will bge able to tell you what options you have for a rebuild and what the cost of each option is. Spidereyes455 was correct in that these transmission needs someone who specializes in these transmissions. That mechainc who can't tell you what you are getting for 2k is doing you a favour by telling you to run

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You need to see if you are getting full throttle valve cable pull at full throttle. I have found on my last 2004R's that has not been the case with the factory cable and bracket. I added zip ties till I did have full pull. What carb do you have? It could need an adapter bracket for proper geometry and full pull.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I installed an Art Carr kit and after pulling it 3 times and spending countless hours tweaking we finally got it right. It is critical that your trans builder understand and triple check the clutch pack clearances. If your shifts are lazy the clutches could already be glazed and need to be replaced. Clutch pack clearances must be TIGHT. Make your trans shop check them to the GM specs and give you the numbers. As noted, don't let any shop build your 2004R. If I had to do it over again I would work with Lonnie at Extreme Automatics. The GN guys use this shop a lot with good results.
They are in Ohio...here is the phone and web link.

Phone: 513-898-0553

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I bought a used 1986 MC SS transmission 2014 and put it in my 1985 Elco behind a 300ish HP newly rebuilt 350. Ive always had problems with either it has long rubber band like shifts or currently it wont shift under full throttle. Ive had it to 3 different mechanics to set it up and it always comes back different but not right. All I want is firm shifts under WOT at an rpm that doesnt blow the motor, the heads are hi compression so i need to match that. Ive got an appointment to bring it in to be rebuilt on monday and i wanna make sure i get what i want. Is there a kit that they can use, do i need a shift kit, what should i ask them before giving them the ok. At this point its we can rebuild it for 2k, and that doesnt really tell me what im getting. Can anyone give me some advice so i don't walk in ready to be bent over. I don't mind paying up to 3k cdn just want crisp shifts under wot that doesn't explode. the motor may very well be well over 300HP IDK i do know when I hit the throttle it redlines in about 2 sec. I dont have time to shift.
did any of those mechanics ever take the car for a test run? I would find a transmission mechanic who has experience and a good reputation for the 200 4r to get his/her opinion of what the problem is before handing it over for a rebuild. Someone who know the 200 4r will bge able to tell you what options you have for a rebuild and what the cost of each option is. Spidereyes455 was correct in that these transmission needs someone who specializes in these transmissions. That mechainc who can't tell you what you are getting for 2k is doing you a favour by telling you to run

Do you know anyone North of Toronto that can do it, I cant send my car to Ohio as much as I would love to? They have all drove it, problem is you get into speeding issues very quickly when testing it. Im tempted to buy a transmission from Jegs or summit and have someone install it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sorry, I don't know anyone who rebuilds them. I have had a stick in my GP for years. I don't know if this would interest you but an 87 GN 200 r4 has a great valve body and a sought after transmission.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmissio...-t-we4-trans-am-200r4-transmission/1499312064

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Don't see that very often Ima gonna call him

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I boughtt that transmission, will have it installed tomorrow, can you look over these pics and tell me what year it is. The tag was mia and it looks like the serial number was removed. I opened it up before paying saw the BR3 and was happy, didnt think to look at the serial#

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4125.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_4131.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 342
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor