200-4r rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
hello again,replaced my engine recently but while i had it out i decided to check behind the converter to see if the front seal was leaking because of a persistent leak in that area i had changed the pan gasket twice for.anyway sure enough it was blown out and leaking so out the transmission came.i got myself the atsg manual for the rebuild and improvised all the proper tools.rebuild is going well not real issues but i was looking around for info on to soak or not to soak the clutch packs...i know most manuals say soak and first instinct says soak but reading around ive encountered a mixed bag of preferences.some say its actually bad to do so,some say it doesnt matter at all and some say its vital to the transmission initial start up.im probably just gonna soak them because everything ive ever been taught says to but just thought id ask around here for any personal insight.so what do you all think?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've seen people install them dry, I've seen some do them wet. My stance is, would you build an engine dry?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I usually hear to just dip them in before installing,, been told that by a builder as well...

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I had the same question when i redid mine. I called ck performance and he said dip them for atleast 15 minutes before install. He keeps his clutches soaked in atf liner than that but he said 15 minutes is fine.

I haven't run mine yet but ck is s very reputable builder.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't see how transmission fluid would be harmful to the frictions.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Soaking them helps impregnate them with lube before first run. They are designed to be wet with T fluid, so build it that way. Messier, but you don't want to do it again if they get boogered.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Soak them.
Take your time. I let mine set overnight in a plastic pail I got from the bakery counter at the local grocery store. It is what cake icing comes in...its just big enough for TH350 clutches, so everything else fiber-wise fits.

Reactions: 1 user

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
yeah got them soaking as i write this,probably let it go for atleast a day or so not really in a big hurry to finish it,my first rebuild of a transmission so semi learning as i go.so far going pretty well i did find however a possible reason the seal blew out,broken 3/4 accumulator spring and clutches were pretty burnt looking.no scoring or anything terrible in the bore and aside from the afore mentioned issues the rest looked almost rebuilt within the last...how ever many years before i bought the car.plesantly surprised the oil passage had already been drilled to 1/4 on the pump though still 7 vane pump im upgrading to a 10,hardened sun shell and direct drum,torrington bearings all throughout that are in great shape.also a grandnational servo and governor.maybe it came that way with the exception of the hardened goodies its a oz code 200-4r which from what ive read is supposed to be one of the more performance built 200's

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like you're on the right path. If I'm not mistaken, the OZ code 200-4R is from an Olds 442. Keep us updated on your progress.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah. if I can recall correctly Monte SS & 442 codes have a governor designed to work with a 3.73 and Turbo Buicks were for 3.42 for upshift points while in drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor