200-4R Replacement TV cable issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
I just got finished replacing my old 200 a little while and less than 250 miles ago, and when doing so noticed previous owner snapped the TV cable jacket and decided to fix it by cocooning it in about 1/8" of electrical tape which I figured was giving it unwanted cable expansion room/flexing and I also noted a very unpleasant binding sensation stemming from the cable. I ordered a new one from Oreilly's (Pioneer CA1943) and it is listed as 39" long. When I installed it the first time it bound up, so I took out the transmission end re-seated it and it seemed to have full range of motion without issue. However when I took it for a drive all the shift points are happening too soon and worse than they ever were with the original despite me following the proper TV adjustment procedures with the new cable, which I might add did not 'click' once throughout the entire process like the original did. Right now 1-2 is at about 15-17MPH, 2-3 is 25-28, and 3-4 is 30-31. Is this cable too long/short? I can't find any info anywhere about how long the cable itself is supposed to be for a stock sbc with a quadrajet carb, only the correct throw distance and adjustment diagrams etc etc. I drive my G on a near-daily basis and the last thing I want is to fry my sparkling new 4-figure gearbox.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
First things first.
You NEED to put a 0-250psi gauge on the port above the gear selector and verify you have the proper working pressures and the TV is correctly adjusted or you will burn up your new trans in short order.
If all pressures are correct you will have to adjust the govenor to get the shift points in line.
Go to bowtie overdrives web site and read up on TV adjustment and pressure testing

Last edited:

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Alright, I put the original back on and adjusted, I'm still a bit concerned about running with a cracked jacket, but all shift points happen within the speed ranges they're supposed to, and shifts are quick, firm, and feel just like they're supposed to when I'm on the gas. I tried ordering a second Techpak cable from eBay which also turned out to be the wrong part (it's for 4 cylinder cars). If I find the right PN for the Techpak V8 cable or any other cables that are the correct fit I'll post them here for reference.

First things first.
You NEED to put a 0-250psi gauge on the port above the gear selector and verify you have the proper working pressures and the TV is correctly adjusted or you will burn up your new trans in short order.
If all pressures are correct you will have to adjust the govenor to get the shift points in line.
Go to bowtie overdrives web site and read up on TV adjustment and pressure testing
I already know about the proper adjustment procedures for the TV cable. The original cable still works okay, I just want to replace it to have peace of mind with the issue, especially since I cracked the jacket in a second spot while replacing my broken dipstick tube. Pressure gauge equipment sounds a bit pricey at the moment but may consider it when a bit more cash frees up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor