200-4r rpm governor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellis456

n00b
Mar 17, 2015
i was reading up on my transmission because i just bought an 86 cutlass supreme with a 307. anyone know anything about the rpm governor or how to get change what its set to or get rid of it if possible?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The governor is one of the components that controls shift points. It uses springs and weights under centrifugal force and is located above the valve body near the rear of the transmission in the same area that the speedo cable attaches. They are calibrated differently for different applications. A governor from a GN or Monte Carlo SS will shift later than one from, say, a full sized wagon. They can be swapped and even modified but aren't necessarily easy to get to.

jellis456

n00b
Mar 17, 2015
The governor is one of the components that controls shift points. It uses springs and weights under centrifugal force and is located above the valve body near the rear of the transmission in the same area that the speedo cable attaches. They are calibrated differently for different applications. A governor from a GN or Monte Carlo SS will shift later than one from, say, a full sized wagon. They can be swapped and even modified but aren't necessarily easy to get to.
okay, thanks for the help i was trying to find out about it but most of the websites werent giving me all too much info

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Keep in mind the valve body also controls shift points too. The valve body's and governors are a matching set. If you just slap in a governor from one transmission into one that has a different valve body, you will get unpredictable results. If you're looking for specific shift points and no part throttle sillyness, go with a known valve body/governor combo.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I find most shift around 4000 rpm but my 88 shifted at 3000 rpm. With the Transgo shift kit, using their green tv limit spring, I got 4800 rpm shifts from 4000. They also show where to grind with their kit to increase even more. I ground a bit and it now shifts at 5000 rpm. The kit also has a billet servo. If you install it, don't set the servo too tight or it will fail. Shifted awesome but took out the band. I couldn't find squat either, hopes this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor