200-4R T.V. Cable Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
The throttle valve cable on my 200-4R isn't adjusted properly and my transmission is shifting at all the wrong times. It shifts way too late when I'm easy on the throttle, and just the opposite happens when I get on it. How can I re-adjust it properly? I have access to tools so I'd like to fix it myself if possible.
Any help is much appreciated.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
no tools should be required for a T.V. cable

Adjustment of the TV Cable on a gasoline engine.
a. Adjustments are made with the engine off. Locate the Adjust Tab on the cable housing. Press in the tab and push the slider
b. Release the tab and rotate the throttle lever to WOT and the cable will self adjust itself as evidenced by a few audible clicks. Release the throttle lever and check the cable for any signs of binding or sticking.
c. Road test the vehicle. Under moderate acceleration your shift points should be close to the following:
1-2…………………15-20 MPH
2-3…………………25-30 MPH
3-4…………………40-45 MPH

Attachments

• gm_tv_fig2.gif
    gm_tv_fig2.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 7,912
  • gm_tv_fig3.gif
    gm_tv_fig3.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 7,281

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
haha thanks DrRansom442 that's what i was gonnna get to but i didn't wanna look for it, if you have a stock carb and the whole set up is still stock you shouldn't have a problems with the angles, and if you got a holley or edelbrock carb, jegs sells the brackets and throttle pieces to put it at the right angle for those carbs. i wouldnt drive the car at all if its out of adjustment untill you get it adjusted right or are trying to adjust it. alot of times they dont self adjust when you do the whole pushing the tab thing, its a good point to start, but if you dont have a trans pressure gauge, ur best bet would be to mark it with a marker or something on the cable when u press the tab to adjust it the first time, try it, if its messed up, move it one click at a time one way or another untill its right, the cable is to tight if the shifts are stacked and early, and its to loose if it doesnt shift or shifts too late

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
btw, you can easily fry a 200-4r within a city block with the TV cable out of whack.

question comes up enough on the multiple boards I use. I just saved the graphics in my harddrive. I gots quite the library and often find myself answerring the same questions lol

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
DrRansom442 said:
btw, you can easily fry a 200-4r within a city block with the TV cable out of whack.

question comes up enough on the multiple boards I use. I just saved the graphics in my harddrive. I gots quite the library and often find myself answerring the same questions lol

haha i bet, the same questions usally seem to re appear from time to time. i fried many o those trans in my day because of the tv cable (and buying used crappy trans). untill i learned more about them haha

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
alright, thanks a lot guys.
@ERIC87442: I still have the stock carb on there but I'm going to rebuild a Holley for it this summer.

DrRansom442 said:

Yea I figured it had been asked before, so I forum searched it first. Didn't find what I needed though..
Thanks again.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
no problem and I am not sure if I've posted it on THIS board or not - I really don't mind SOME reposts.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
when you get the holley make sure you get the throttle pieces and brackets, and make sure ur cable is the right size, you may need a shorter tv cable and you will have to re adjust it, if you got the electric controlled quadrajet id keep it, Ive heard a lot of good things about those. personaly i wish my car was all bone stock with everything working i dont care if it was a slow turd haha

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
ERIC87442 said:
when you get the holley make sure you get the throttle pieces and brackets, and make sure ur cable is the right size, you may need a shorter tv cable and you will have to re adjust it, if you got the electric controlled quadrajet id keep it, Ive heard a lot of good things about those. personaly i wish my car was all bone stock with everything working i dont care if it was a slow turd haha

:lol: My car is a bone stock slow turd. :)

Anyway I've already got the carb. Its an electronic choke with vacuum secondaries. It needs cleaned out and rebuilt.
The Q-Jet is alright so I'm sure we'll hang on to it, in case the Holley doesn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor