I'd say so.

1611883911372.png

Then I threw even more power at it (estimated 600+hp):

This build was done in the early 2000s.

Specs:
200-4R CZF
2500 stall lock-up converter
Rostra Universal TCC Solenoid
Extra BW friction plates and clutches (special sizes were order according to tolerance needs)
Superior 10 Vane Tuff Pump front pump comes with hardened front stator
Superior Super Servo
Superior Shift Correction Kit HP unit
AAMCO Master Rebuild Kit
Extra friction clutch in the OD set
Extra friction clutch in the Main set
Bryco hardened sun gear shell
.500 throttle boost valve
.300 reverse boost valve
OD piston milled .085" to accommodate extra clutch
RTV used to seal around new filter
Torrington Bearing system used throughout
Any and all updates to the transmission were made and I think there is more too...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
if that^^ gent doesn't scatter it all over the street you'll be fine with one..

Nothing makes me feel more validated than a back-handed compliment.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Will a 200R4 Handle 450 hp? What needs to be done to make it strong enough I want to keep the 4 spd transmission.

450 HP at 5,500 RPM is easier on on the Trans than the thousands of typical, stock longblock low 12/high 11 second Turbobuicks making peak HP @ 4,300 RPM and 500+ lbft @ 2,600 RPM.

In a 3600 lb street car that isn't trying to 1.55 60 ft, a 2004R is a good choice.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it was a backhanded compliment, it would just be a b*tch slap. Keepin' the pimp hand strong. :)

Hell yeah, a TH200-4R can be built to take 450 and more. Just have to do the right mods and either go billet this or at minimum heat treated/hardened that in key components.

The #1 killer of 200-4R is TV cable mal-adjustment allowing even the toughest built 4R die an early death.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
How much torque are you looking at? Over 400 ft/lbs a billet forward drum with a welded in hardened shaft is highly recommended, $400 by itself with all the other mods Mike has done. Line pressure is also key for life and shift quality which means careful assembly to get all the clearances right as well.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
How much torque are you looking at? Over 400 ft/lbs a billet forward drum with a welded in hardened shaft is highly recommended, $400 by itself with all the other mods Mike has done. Line pressure is also key for life and shift quality which means careful assembly to get all the clearances right as well.

And I probably would have used those billet/hardened parts if they existed 20 years ago. Shiiiiit... The 4L70E in my TBSS got all the good parts and is holding more power/load than most people want to believe reliable.

Buy once, cry once.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor