2000 Camaro e brake hook up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I got a set of rear cables from a 2000 F body. I’m having one hell of a time getting the slotted end on the e brake control. The shock mount on the differential is in the way. Please don’t tell me I have to take the axles out again just to make room to make this connection.. I’ve checked old threads, but couldn’t find a solution. Nobody mentioned this part of the installation

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I got a set of rear cables from a 2000 F body. I’m having one hell of a time getting the slotted end on the e brake control. The shock mount on the differential is in the way. Please don’t tell me I have to take the axles out again just to make room to make this connection.. I’ve checked old threads, but couldn’t find a solution. Nobody mentioned this part of the installation
I'm curious about this also. I haven't dealt with mine yet either.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
here is how i did my ls1 rear parking brakes. i don't recall who came up with this, but i got the info from this forum.

i made the parking brake cable brackets that i found here, on this forum, for my ls1 rear brake upgrade. instead of making the small "L" brackets that connect the cable to the parking brake lever i used parking brake cable connectors from mid 70s gm cars. sorry, no pics of actual car at this time, its in storage. but i was able to put about 2000 miles on the set up. no complaints in its performance. joe

brake_bkts_zpsfb44922a.jpg~original

Attachments

Here are a couple of pics for reference. Please note, the lever in the pic is from an S10 blazer and is merely used as an example. The ls1 lever is longer and fits much better. I did pinch one end of the connector that sits over the lever so it it would not pull thru. I also added a brace to the long "L" bracket so it would not bend if the parking brake was applied to hard.

Attachments

Feb 5, 2017
Another pic 20170205_221227.jpg 20170205_221227.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
LSCustom gets the credit for the garage engineering drawing. Were you able to make the factory adjuster work and do the left and right side pull evenly together?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Maybe you could also try removing the caliper and rotor then either loosen or remove the backing plate bolts and you may be able to move it enough to gain the clearance you need

Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
LSCustom gets the credit for the garage engineering drawing. Were you able to make the factory adjuster work and do the left and right side pull evenly together?
thank you LSCustom. he did an amazing job.

yes, factory adjuster works just fine. as far as i know they pull equally. i never checked them with the wheels off the ground, but they hold my car on any incline i've used them on with no issue. i drive this car as a summer daily driver and have logged over 5000 miles in the 3 years since i added the ls1 rear discs.
i like the set-up so much that I've made another set for a future project. but am open to other ideas when presented.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Here's a pic of the additional brace i added.
20170215_152258.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It seems if you intend to use the F body cables, you should put them in place when installing the backing plates.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I bought the F-body cables, but I discovered that the stock Gbody cable ends work just fine with an adapter like the drawing or using Joe's idea. The hardest part was making the brackets work. I like Joe's reinforcement design.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor