2002 Tahoe donor vehicle 4.8 LR4 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Thanks guys, I would really like to use the trans as well, I want the overdrive. I hadn't really sat down to figure out what all I need yet but I kind of figured around $5k to get the swap done. I know I am in the minority as I don't want a high horsepower motor, I am looking for decent power but dependability, drive-ability and a modern motor that parts are readily available for. I want it to be fuel injected as well. I don't have a tight budget but I don't want to waste money either. My purpose for this car is to enjoy it, I already have a trailer queen.

2WD vehicles are actually really hard to come by here and people want too much money for what they have in my opinion. Having a 4WD vehicle as your primary vehicle that you commute with and don't work with boggles my mind. I may need to expand my searches into Louisiana, things seem a little cheaper there.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m a 4.8 fan, but I don’t mind spinning them to 6k regularly. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea though.

Your hp goal is done quite easily with a 5.3 or 6.0 with nothing more than a set of headers. And your budget would push me to using a Holley. You can easily pull this off for 5k.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
fleming442, funny you say that, I recently saw an ad on Facebook Marketplace I think for a guy who would procure your LS, trans, and wiring harness and install it for $5500

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
fleming442, funny you say that, I recently saw an ad on Facebook Marketplace I think for a guy who would procure your LS, trans, and wiring harness and install it for $5500
I can only imagine what a hacked up mess that would be!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's a broken record, but I recommend against the 4L60/65/70E. My 08 Sierra came with one stock and was 315 HP stock. It didn't hold up. Granted, my truck has headers and a small cam and I drive it hard. Still, I would find a 4L80E if I were you. The 60/65/70E is marginal for a stock application, in my opinion.

It's my understanding the 80E is common in the work vans, even behind V-6's. Be patient and persistent with your search and the right deal should come along. If you're impatient like me and want to "overpay", you can do that anytime. I paid $900 shipped for the 4L85E that is in my truck. I bought it out of Mobile, Alabama. I didn't have to but I then had it overhauled and beefed up. 20k hard daily driven miles later, I have no regrets.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
A quick search shows that there are three LKQ pick your part salvage yards in Texas. Last time I checked you could still buy a complete engine with the accessories for under $300. At any given time the LKQ near me has at least 5-6 good donor engines. Usually they are 5.3’s with the occasional 6.0. 3/4 ton Express vans are also abundant and they have the 4L80 trans you need. Don’t waste your time on a 4L60.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
*doing the work yourself. I'd charge 5 grand labor!
Man, that’s the understatement of the year.

I ALWAYS assume that we here in the G-body forum are DIY’ers for this type of work. Those ‘bought not built’ types are on the Mustang and ‘Vette forums.

Without picking on anyone or calling anyone out (sorry D 😜) I’ll bet Olds Cool has $30-40k in labor right now in appearance work alone. Forget parts and drivetrain work.

OP - if you can’t run a multimeter and can’t fabricate anything or build a design plan, then the home grown LS swap is not for you.

Regarding Jarod’s post about transmission choice - he is SPOT ON. Find a 4l80 and never think about the transmission again - for the rest of your life. How tough is a 4l80 in proper operating form - I’m way over 600 whp and it works perfectly for racing and cruising.

ps - OP - if you aren’t familiar with Olds Cool, then find Donovan’s thread and start reading. It defines a plan, fabrication , work and parts with a vision coming together.

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Without picking on anyone or calling anyone out (sorry D 😜) I’ll bet Olds Cool has $30-40k in labor right now in appearance work alone. Forget parts and drivetrain work.

You’re probably not far off on that estimate on the labor that went into it Jim, very labor intensive for sure. Next biggest expenditure would’ve been the cost of materials. Paint and body supplies are VERY expensive, especially for the good quality stuff.

ps - OP - if you aren’t familiar with Olds Cool, then find Donovan’s thread and start reading. It defines a plan, fabrication , work and parts with a vision coming together.

Thanks for the kind words Jim! Very flattered.
😊😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor