2003 Boneville SSEI Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I'm helping my dad on his car and its an 03 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI with the 3.8 Supercharged. I am only talking to him on the phone. But One day it just started running rough while at a traffic light. Then After I parked it, it wouldnt start and when it did it ran real rough then died. Now when it is a first start being cold it runs great and idle and revs up fine. But after a couple minutes it just dies. I checked fuel pressure while it was idling and it has perfect fuel pressure even until it dies. But the whole time its idling it has a real bad exhaust smell. Like rotten eggs. Also there are no codes and while it was idling once it reached 195 it died. I'm thinking its either the O2 sensors, or a Coolant Temp Sensor. I was also thinking maybe its a bad coil pack causing a cylinder misfire which would cause alot of unburned fuel to mess up the cat causing the smell. Seems odd that this is still no check engine light for anything. If it was a plugged exhaust but why would it take 10 minutes before it would cut off? Any help would greatly be appriciated.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
When it dies does it re-start or just crank? I`ve seen a few 3.8`s with similar problems, the coolant temp sensor is possible, you would have to check the reading with a scan tool to see if it`s right or reads -40.
More likely would be a problem with either the crank sensor or the ignition module under the coil packs. I have seen untold number of these cut-out once the engine gets warm and no longer supply a reference signal for the ecm. In both cases a scanner mkes diagnosis easier but if they cut-out when hot, the engine will just crank and not start until they cool down again. you might want to check the tone wheel behind the crank pulley, I have seen a few of these become loose and it really messes up the timing.
Good luck, deanlemans81

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i have a friend had the same problem on his 92 buick ledabre. his was a couple probs,first one was the idle air intake valve,fixed the prob for awhile then started again,we replaced the cam sensor on the out side worked again for a couple days then same prob ended up replacing the other cam sensor. so it could posibly be either one of them, try the idel air intake vale first, i have a 1997 ford f250 that had same problem i replace idle air intake vavle and it solved my problem.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You really need a scanner (even the cheap type) with some form of live data stream to be able to proceed. Otherwise you're just guessing and throwing parts at it. It sounds like the CTS could be the issue. If you dropped a coil it would set a misfire code. Also look at the resistors on the MAF and make sure there isn't any black residue on them. They can be cleaned with BrakeKleen. Vacuum leak at Map sensor will cause an extremely rich condition too.

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
Try TPS sensor had same problem with 02 Malibu an change fuel filter running fine ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor