2004r CZF shift firmness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Ok, I've viewed a lot of threads and can't figure out what to do. I have had 2 TH350s in my car the last 22 years. Both had shift kits and worked good but a little harsh. I just swapped to a 2004r and love overdrive. The trans is a CZF but the shifts are not fast or firm. It is stock with about 80,000 miles on it. It doesn't seem to slip. So what do I do to get good firm shifts without being harsh shifts? I've heard people say a stock CZF should be great and I've heard them say they need either a shift kit, or just a servo, or both. Please let me know what to do if you have experience with this trans.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for the response. I did look at that build thread before. I'm hoping that I don't have to rebuild it yet. My last TH350 was put in to get me by until I rebuilt the other one. It shifted into all gears about like this 2004r, the history of it was unknown, and the fluid looked horrible. I stuck a B&M shift kit in it and ran it for 3 years without any problems. I was amazed. It shifted nice and firm. Hoping servo and or shift kit will have similar results here.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I know from reading threads that the Transgo shift kit includes the billet servo, is popular and well spoken of. I don't have a 200-4R, but I have a Transgo shift kit in my 4L70E in my daily. My builder loves the Transgo stuff.

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
That is one I've been contemplating. I am thinking either that or the CK performance from what I've read. When I do the shift kit I am also going to swap out the lock up solenoid. It is staying locked after it's been locked up for more than 3 miles.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Ok, I've viewed a lot of threads and can't figure out what to do. The trans is a CZF but the shifts are not fast or firm.

Several years ago I chose to install a Transgo kit in my OZ code 2004R with an experienced friend and had the same issue. I installed a "super servo" which touted more apply area for the 2nd gear band than any other factory 2004R servo available. No matter how many parts I threw at it we still couldn't get the shift firmness I was after. In the end we found that the clutch plate clearance was slightly out of tolerance. After talking with guys at CK, they confirmed clutch plate clearances are critical on a 2004R. If all else checks out you might want to check it to the book specifications. Back in the 80's I drove a new Monte SS and it would chirp the tires on the 1-2. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for letting me know your experience. Ideally I want it to shift a little later too. Normal driving it shifts between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I'm assuming that will be a governor change. It might be good if I can just get the firmness a little better. I already swapped the rear end years ago with a posi with 3.73. The motor isn't much, it's the stock 305 rebuilt with a bigger cam, some head work, assuming around 240 HP so I'm hoping the trans won't have a problem with the power.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Normal driving it shifts between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I'm assuming that will be a governor change. r.
If you have a unmolested CZF it already has the best governor and valve body combo available in a factory 2004R.... Don't change it!....Have you checked the TV cable to make sure it is adjusted properly? The cables stretch over time and if anyone messed with it it could be out of whack. The TV cable (Throttle Valve cable) adjusts line pressure inside your transmission which also effects shift firmness. It is a common issue. Check out the link.

Reactions: 1 users

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
The TV cable took me a few times to get it adjusted correctly, even after reading a few documents and watching as many videos on the procedure. In the end, it was an easy adjustment. There are just so many people showing incorrect adjustments that it makes it confusing. I'll check out the link to make sure I've got it correct. Thanks again.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have a built CZF that I spec'd back around 2001; there were significant internal mods including shift programming, billet servo, modified clutch packs, boost valves and so on. It is harsh on the shifts - all of them. However, it also held my MCSS going 116mph on the bottle and took years of abuse and road miles. I always ran Ford Type-F fluid.

I should add that most of the parts came from Sonnax/Fairchild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor