2004R swap Column shift question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm about a week away from swapping the 2004r in place of my TH350 into my 81 malibu . It's a column shift car and I want to keep it that way (Love the bench seat).I got the crossmember and frame extension, drive shaft etc. I am more concerned about the stock column shift linkage. Obviously I will need a new indicator but I'm not too worried about that. WIll the stock linkage reach all gears? or with easy modification?

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Really? No replies? Anyways swap complete, the linkage fits just fine. The column shifter travels through P-R-N-OD-D-2-1 without any modifications or issues.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm about a week away from swapping the 2004r in place of my TH350 into my 81 malibu . It's a column shift car and I want to keep it that way (Love the bench seat).I got the crossmember and frame extension, drive shaft etc. I am more concerned about the stock column shift linkage. Obviously I will need a new indicator but I'm not too worried about that. WIll the stock linkage reach all gears? or with easy modification?

The factory linkage should work fine with the 200 4R. I've gone from a 3 speed to 200 4R in an 81 and 82' Cutlass Supreme with no issues.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When you disconnect your transmission linkage, you'll discover that the column shifter moves smoothy up and down with no detent - that's inside the transmission. You'll just have one more stop below '1' on your indicator.

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
No, I have detents in the column as well. I know the detent is in the trans, but the column has preset detents to where it thinks the shifter will be. It's not like the trucks where they rely on the trans detent.

horners85regal

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2011
Trenton Ontario Canada
when i swapped out my 200c and put my built 200 r4 in i had to also change the shift rod that runs down the fire wall, its longer, gears line up with the display, just 1st is off the chart, but i havnt needed to use anything but drive lol , she shifts hard at 6300 rpm WOT

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
when i swapped out my 200c and put my built 200 r4 in i had to also change the shift rod that runs down the fire wall, its longer, gears line up with the display, just 1st is off the chart, but i havnt needed to use anything but drive lol , she shifts hard at 6300 rpm WOT
Who built it and what vb/gov did you use to get the 6300 rpm shifts?

horners85regal

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2011
Trenton Ontario Canada
A friend out here, worked at a local shop that does old cars and performance, he was the transmission guy there. Not sure what all he has done with it, i know it is working great so far for me though, I was originally worried about the shifts sooo high but it seems to be working great and i still have the lock up so i can have the best of both worlds imo. regular shifts are around 2200 rpm. Sorry for the delayed reponse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor