2004r TC lockup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So I discovered that my TC doesn't lockup up. I rarely drive on the interstate or continually at high speeds, but I mentioned to a mechanic friend that my car feels like it doesn't want to hold speeds above 60 very well. You get up to 60-65-70 and the RPMS feel more like a car in third than 4th. So we put a scanner on it and sure enough that computer never demands the TC lockup. All parameters seems to be in place. VSS is reading proper speed, we made sure the brake switch for the TC was working and not accidentally engaging. The TC lockup is hooked up and should work. I know the old timer I bought the car from had it disconnected(he never drive above 28mph). Anyhow we ran out of time and will mess with it another day.

My real question today is I'm taking a trip to my buddy's cabin this upcoming weekend in Alleghany State Park. Its roughly a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from Buffalo. A lot of 65 MPH speed limits and a lot of long uphill pulls. I was looking forward to taking the Monte because it would be fun on the open roads and uphill pulls but I'm concerned about ruining the transmission. Should I take it or wait till this is resolved?

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
If the rest of the TCC system is working aside from the ECM command, you may be able to just lock it manually for your trip. Grab a couple lengths of wire and a rocker/toggle switch. Place the wire ends into the upper right and upper left terminals of the ALDL connector under the dash. When you close the switch, you're grounding the solenoid manually and should have lockup.

TCC+Lockup+aldl.gif

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
MeanBuicks said:
If the rest of the TCC system is working aside from the ECM command, you may be able to just lock it manually for your trip. Grab a couple lengths of wire and a rocker/toggle switch. Place the wire ends into the upper right and upper left terminals of the ALDL connector under the dash. When you close the switch, you're grounding the solenoid manually and should have lockup.

TCC+Lockup+aldl.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate it. In some previous reading I did there is also a way I can hood up an LED to show when its locked I believe. Got to do some more reading.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
MeanBuicks said:

TCC+Lockup+aldl.gif

Thanks man, worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor