2004r to 700r4 transmisson swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylerb23

n00b
Jul 15, 2019
I have an 87 monte carlo ss I'm wanting to take the original 2004r out and put in a 700r4. Was just needing to know what tailshaft i would need to put on the 700r4 and not have to cut my driveshaft? Or if there is a tailshaft that will swap over to the 700r4 from another gm transmission?

Tylerb23

n00b
Jul 15, 2019
Because I'm having trouble with the 2004r leaking around the pan and I dont have the money to get the 200 rebuilt right now and the 700 I pretty much got gave to me? So why not? I just need to know what I'm gonna hafta to do as far and tailshafts and and my driveshaft preferably without without having to cut the driveshaft?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Its your car, do what you want but I see no reason to pull out a 200-4R and replace it with an inferior transmission that takes a bunch of modifications to install. That said the driveshaft WILL have to be cut about 3 inches if I recall correctly. You will also need to replace the crossmember with an aftermarket one or a stock th350 one with a modified mount pad.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Don't forget the 87 200 4R in an SS is a 7CZ code which means it has a better valve body than other 200 4R's that you find other basic G bodies. The CZ has a valvebody similar to the BRF which are used in the Grand National and KZ models which are used in the 442. You would be foolish not to have your transmission repaired but if are going to remove it for the 700 R4 I hope you offer the 200 4R to someone on the forum....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tylerb23

n00b
Jul 15, 2019
Don't forget the 87 200 4R in an SS is a 7CZ code which means it has a better valve body than other 200 4R's that you find other basic G bodies. The CZ has a valvebody similar to the BRF which are used in the Grand National and KZ models which are used in the 442. You would be foolish not to have your transmission repaired but if are going to remove it for the 700 R4 I hope you offer the 200 4R to someone on the forum....
I believe I will just go wit the 200-4r for now see if its going to keep on leaking transmission fluid around the pan if not I'll just keep it in the car I really didnt want to do it anyways jus tired of wasting time on that one and it still leaks In the end transmission fluid is high as **** for real!

Reactions: 1 user

Tylerb23

n00b
Jul 15, 2019
Yeah i have a couple of the holes were needed to be drilled and tapped again the threads was shot in the muthas and the bolts just wasnt tightening up like they were suppose to be. Ive got it all back In the car new seals gaskets and bolts that fit havent put any transmission fluid in it yet cause i have the steering column tore apart and instead of buying anymore parts to fix the one I got and it still might not work I really would like to make it alot simpler and just find a new column fr!?!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Tap to oversize on the bolts if necessary and use the Rightstuff or ATF RTV on both sides of the gasket. Also make sure it isn't the front seal or selector shaft seal. My last two have leaked on the selector shaft, drips down onto the pan bolts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor