2004r to th400 what all is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
image.jpeg
just wondering what i will have to do to swap in a th400 into my 87 ss monte i know the mounting pad is suppose to be the same as 2004r so crossmember should stay same. But what all do i need as far as driveline. It looks like i hav the shorttail th400

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
You will need a kickdown switch, a different converter if you don't already have one, and a a different driveshaft. The 400 with the short tailshaft is longer than the 200 4r even though the mounts are in the same location and it will need a larger slip yoke.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
You will need a kickdown switch, a different converter if you don't already have one, and a a different driveshaft. The 400 with the short tailshaft is longer than the 200 4r even though the mounts are in the same location and it will need a larger slip yoke.
Converter i have now as far a driveshaft is the length the same or will this one need to be shortened or do i just need to do the 400 yoke

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you are changing to a 400 turbo trans over the 200R4 for the added strength then I would continue the process by ordering a stronger custom made driveshaft instead of spending money cutting, rewelding and balancing your old smaller diameter driveshaft.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
If you are changing to a 400 turbo trans over the 200R4 for the added strength then I would continue the process by ordering a stronger custom made driveshaft instead of spending money cutting, rewelding and balancing your old smaller diameter driveshaft.
I agree with you but right now i just wanna get it mobile for now

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So today i went to wrecking yard and i found a th400 with the yoke so i pulled it. Both trans looked the same so i figured it would work so the one i pulled the yoke off of had a bolt threw the center and when i got home i looked at mine and it dont have that bolt hole can i still use this yoke or did i grab the wrong one?
image.jpeg

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Does this look ok or do i need to find a different yoke? My trans dont have the threads in the output shat like the one i pulled the yoke off of

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor